BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2011 will broadcast live from the new home of BBC Sport, MediaCityUK in Salford Quays.
The show will be presented by [[Sue Barker]], [[Gary Lineker]] and [[Jake Humphrey]] and will be live on BBC One and HD on Thursday 22nd December 2011, 8-10pm.
This year, BBC Sports Personality of the Year will also stand as the culmination of Celebrate Sport, two weeks of sporting events taking place at MediaCityUK, Salford Quays, throughout December. The mix of live shows, exhibitions, tours and interactive experiences will give thousands of adults and children the chance to immerse themselves in the exciting world of sport, including:
• BBC Radio 5 Live’s iconic football phone-in, 606, and the 5 Live Sports Personality backstage show both broadcast in front of live studio audiences for the first time, plus The Monday Night Club and Fighting Talk live
• A Christmas Concert with the BBC Philharmonic and the Manchester United Foundation Youth Choir, recording a sport themed concert in front of an audience for broadcast on BBC Radio Manchester
• The National Football Museum will be in residence for two weeks, showcasing objects from their collection and some fun football-related activities
• Sue Barker with Matt Dawson and Phil Tufnell in a special “Audience with Question of Sport”
• Plus special events with Match Of The Day and Football Focus, interactive exhibitions, children’s activities and much more
Barbara Slater, BBC Director of Sport, says: “MediaCityUK in Salford will be a fitting venue for the 2011 BBC Sports Personality of the Year. The facilities at the site are fantastic and the area has such a top-class sporting heritage, boasting top flight teams across many sports. This is a great opportunity to celebrate that. It’s wonderful to be able to also offer so many people the chance to get involved through Celebrate Sport which will throw open the doors to many exciting sport events and experiences.”
The 2019/20 FA Cup final takes place this afternoon as Arsenal face Chelsea at Wembley Stadium. The Gunners recorded a 2-0 victory over holders Manchester City in the semi-finals thanks to a brace by Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, and Chelsea produced an… Read more
The 2020 World Snooker Championship will begin this weekend with the final taking place on 15-16 August 2020. The tournament will be held at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield and shown live on the BBC and Eurosport. The championship was… Read more
An audience of 7.3 million watched Chelsea’s 3-1 FA Cup semi-final win over Manchester United on the BBC. The peak audience across the BBC’s platforms saw the Blues end United’s 19-match unbeaten run. Frank Lampard’s Chelsea will now face London… Read more