Fox News

Discussions on International News and Sport channels: ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox, NBC, ESPN and TNT
Steven

Post by Steven » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:54 pm

Go to google.com type in 'negative election coverage' and at least the first page is full of stories about this research. The group isProject for Excellence in Journalism.

And no you can't realistically compare gun crime within the UK to the USA. To say that more people die in America as the result of gun crime than in the UK is true only to a certain degree, but it is not an intelligent statement.

daved2424

Post by daved2424 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:43 pm

Yes the first page is full stories about this topic, but they are all the SAME story from Reuters of different websites. As Google returns matches first by relevance then by how old the page is it's hardly surprising. This is only one story. What's more I've seen this story miss-quoted twice on the Internet, one to an astonishing level.

But even Bush did receive more negative coverage, there is always the chance that there was more negative news to report.

To say that more people die in America as the result of gun crime than in the UK is infact not an intelligent statement, but I didn't say that did I? Who said anything about dying? Not me. I just said that if you use your rule of not being able to make comparisons because different factors are involved, then you would hardly ever be able to make any comparisons at all. So, let me compare US and UK gun crime very simply for you and take note how it is a fair comparisson.

The US has much more gun crime that the UK. One reason being; guns are legal in US and not here.

That on its own is a prety good and fair comparrisson.

Steven

Post by Steven » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:05 pm

You originally stated that journalism 'shoud' be fair and balanced, and because Sky and the BBC follow this ethos they are good at what they do (it must be fair to presume you were referring to News, and Television News in particular). This comment of yours immediately followed a point that Fox News was bad because they were right-leaning - indeed this was all with in the same sentance. Thus it is fair to assume you believe that Sky News and News 24 are better than Fox News because their journalistic output is fair and balanced. My point is that Sky News and News 24 are bound by regulations that force them to be neutral. How can we compare them on the grounds of fairness and balance in that case?

daved2424

Post by daved2424 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:03 am

Yes I did say that, but you can still make comparisons can you not? Different regulations do apply, you are correct, which is WHY Sky News and BBC News 24 are superior BECAUSE they are not biased. Viewers should be able to make up their own mind from an unbiased source, and not from an opinion that is thrust upon them. The comparisson I was making implied that a bias should not exist, albeit morally or through regulation, but I didn't think I needed to join up every dot for people to understand.

hamishnewhouse

Post by hamishnewhouse » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:50 pm

I have to confess I've never seen FOX News, mainly because I dont have Sky (I watch Sky News through Freeview). I do however believe that most of our 24 news channels tend to have ether a left or centre reporting bias. it would be good to have a news channel (i believe like Fox News) that has a more right wing bias. I would class BBC News 24 as left wing, The ITN News Channel & Sky News as Centre.

I would welcome our news channels to adopt a flavor rather like our newspapers.

Kristian

Post by Kristian » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:56 pm

Unless you love Bush, Cheney and all things (Neo-)Conservative, trust me, you DON'T want anything like Fox News!

AnjaliWOW

Post by AnjaliWOW » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:55 am

kaylover+Mar 16 2005, 08:03 PM(kaylover @ Mar 16 2005, 08:03 PM)

one reason i support bush is because he makes more exciting news. cant wait till we go to war with iran, i know ill be watching the tv for hours again.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Are you for real?