Fox News

Discussions on International News and Sport channels: ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox, NBC, ESPN and TNT
kaylover

Post by kaylover » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:51 pm

I think that Sky should become more like Fox news. Fox news is by far the best american news channel even if its reporting may be slightly unfair, it doesnt bother me as i am a bush supporter, for the simple fact his policys make more exciting news.

Fox is better than Sky for several reasons. The first being that its presenters are more 'real' than the ones on Sky. People can simply relate more to the presenters and there presenting style on Fox than they can on Sky because they are not as rigged. Presenters such as Shepard Smith really make the channel great. He is the best natural broadcaster ive ever seen.If you can try and watch his shows 'THE FOX REPORT'(12.OOAM UK) and 'STUDIO B' (8.00PM UK)

Also they have special shows that break the news up so its not as boring. Shows like 'FOX & FRIENDS' in the morning that offer an informal look at the news followed at 9 by 'FOX NEWS LIVE' the main news cast for the day. They also offer unique shows such as 'DAYSIDE' that manage to combine a chat show with a live studio audience and the days hard news.

Also on Fox they hardly ever use pre-recorded packages. They always have a live reporter at the scene updating you with the news every hour. Granted they may be reading from a script but atleast you know the news you are getting is fresh unlike pakages that may be used for 10hours without being updated.

Also i belive that fox have better graphics. There 'fox news alert' graphic is simply amazing. It commands attention and gets you to look up at the screen, this way you dont miss any of the breaking details. I belive sky should have one of these as when doing other things with the news on in the background its easy to miss a breaking news story.

So this is why Fox is better than Sky. I belive its never too late for Sky to change. Ofcouse i wouldnt want sky to be unfair like fox is, but simply steal the way it works and enjoy the same success Fox has (Fox has more viewers than CNN).

NEWSBOY2

Post by NEWSBOY2 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:53 pm

Hmmmmmmm I could pass comment, but it sounds so ridiculous and contradictory I?d rather not.

kaylover

Post by kaylover » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:02 am

no please do pass comment. id love to hear what people think.

daved2424

Post by daved2424 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:38 am

HAHAHAHAH. That's satire, right?

kev667

Post by kev667 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:25 pm

Anyone else seen Outfoxed?

http://www.outfoxed.org

There's a trailer on the site for you, kaylover. I'd recommend it to anyone.

It may be glitzy and more 'entertaining' than SkyNews but it's only watchable if you hold the same political leanings as the Fox propaganda machine.. I'd much prefer to watch the news straight rather than journalistically corrupt talking heads advocating neocon policy & actively supporting Bush (or any politician/party).

Kaylover, wouldn't it outrage you if another channel was 'slightly unfair' in it's approach to Kerry & he won? If another channel gave Republicans 17% of airtime - would you complain? I think this is how the rest of us see Fox.

edofis

Post by edofis » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:32 pm

I read this last night. My apologies for taking so long in replying but i couden't stop laughing... You are joking Kaylover, you got to be. Then i had an awful nightmare that Sky become Fox in all but name.. Aaaaaargghhh!!!

I prefer my news to come from a credible news service which remains impartial. Sky is a credible service Fox on the other hand is not.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:52 pm

I understand why Mistah Murdoch Sah called Sky News "Sky" ("yeah, that's a good name for a sat channel, mate") but....Fox?

Was it inspired by the, er, female presenters?!

As for the rest, I'll just rely on John McEnroe's observations to the umpires at the Big W

However, at least Brits' dislike of all things Foxy does prove a point to Europeans that not all of Britain just mimics the US of A.

Kristian

Post by Kristian » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:38 pm

Outfoxed is excellent. The ending sucks but the rest of the movie is very, very interesting.

Fox News is not a news channel. It's damn near fiction all of it. And don't get me started on their pundits. WORST TELEVISION "PRESENTERS" EVER. Bill O'Reilly is a bonafide psychopath and Sean Hannity wants to kill all non-conservatives.

Kristian

Post by Kristian » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:44 pm

Which is truly, truly sad. I think it played a big part in getting the most idiotic and most dangerous "President" EVER re-elected. "Now there's only two days left until we re-elect President Bush". Uhm :huh: (I am NOT making this up! They said it all the time leading up to the election)

It's a sad, sad world.

kaylover

Post by kaylover » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:46 pm

I think people need to get over the fact that fox news it not fair, its part of the channel. I think Fox news is brave in standing up for the right wing. Its about time we had an openly right wing channel. Just look at all the left wing media outlets such as CNN, nobody moans about them being unfair.

I never said that i wanted Sky to be unfair like Fox but simply copy its format, that is undoubtably success. You have to admit that they way Fox is run (bar the unfair reporting) is far greater than Sky at this time.

Kristian

Post by Kristian » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:59 pm

You must be joking. Fox News' main slogan is "FAIR AND BALANCED"!

CNN is not left-wing or unfair. That's a widely acknowledged fact to anyone not on the extreme right.

You're so far out to the right that anything else than Fox will seem left-wing to you.

Fox News does not do much of anything positive to gain more success. The only thing they do is to speak to the same people who like idiots like Bush; Ignorant morons from the red states.

kaylover

Post by kaylover » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:47 pm

i know the slogan, but there reporting about most things is pretty accurate. For some reason people take what bill oreilly says as journalism not opinion.one reason i support bush is because he makes more exciting news. cant wait till we go to war with iran, i know ill be watching the tv for hours again.

Kristian

Post by Kristian » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:55 pm

You're mad.

dirkyt

Post by dirkyt » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:46 pm

fusionlad

Post by fusionlad » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:55 pm

kaylover+Mar 16 2005, 08:03 PM(kaylover @ Mar 16 2005, 08:03 PM)

i know the slogan, but there reporting about most things is pretty accurate. For some reason people take what bill oreilly says as journalism not opinion.one reason i support bush is because he makes more exciting news. cant wait till we go to war with iran, i know ill be watching the tv for hours again.

You sick person. Can't wait till war?

Wars are not things you are meant to enjoy. Lives are always lost.

You really do have a disgusting attitude.

daved2424

Post by daved2424 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:48 pm

kaylover is having you on guys.

NEWSBOY2

Post by NEWSBOY2 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:14 am

Many Americans actually believe Fox is "fair and balanced". Its terrorising how the Bush Republicans have managed to propel the myth that there is a "liberal media", you get some people who've never watched CNN actually swallowing all that right-wing crap, (kay lover being one of them).

I don?t know how those who respect proper television journalism could ever support the notion that highly - partisan agendas benefit viewers. Could you imagine a conservative news channel in Britain?

Kristian

Post by Kristian » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:51 pm

NEWSBOY2+Mar 17 2005, 01:55 AM(NEWSBOY2 @ Mar 17 2005, 01:55 AM)

Many Americans actually believe Fox is "fair and balanced".

Exactly. That's the problem with that stupid channel. You have to be pretty dense if you actually think it's "fair and balanced" and that people like Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly are respectable journalists.

Stupid Americans. :angry:

karimb

Post by karimb » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:43 am

I think Sky News should adopt many of the show formats and schedule fixtures of Fox, specifically Fox & Friends, Fox News Watch, Daytime with Linda Vesta and perhaps Hannity and Colmnes. The formats themselves are politically unbiased. It's just the choice of host and guest on Fox that can make them drift rightwards. There's no reason why these formats should result in a right-wing bias if Sky were to adopt them.

[further comment here: http://skynewsforums.co.uk/index.php?sh ... c=799&st=0> ]

Steven

Post by Steven » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:53 pm

karimb makes an excellent point about the formats. I think that Fox does News (that is the formatting of the shows and the station) brilliantly. The problem exsists more in the editorial output.

With regards their editirial output. I don't think it's necessarily bad that they are conservatively biased so much as they claim not to be. Don't shout about being fair and balanced when you are so clearly not. It is quite often said that the mainstream media in the US (ABC, NBC, CBS and sometimes CNN) is liberal leaning; so why not have a balance to that?

Lastly, I would urge you to watch the previously mentioned film as well as the weekly Fox News programme Fox News Watch.

daved2424

Post by daved2424 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:28 pm

Steven+Mar 20 2005, 10:18 AM(Steven @ Mar 20 2005, 10:18 AM)

It is quite often said that the mainstream media in the US (ABC, NBC, CBS and sometimes CNN) is liberal leaning

Who claims this though? Ah yes, Fox News and the rest of the right. I think you'll find they are no way near as liberal as the right make out. And it is bad that they have a conservative bias, journalism should be fair and balanced which is why Sky and the BBC in particular are so good at what they do.

Hurdy

Post by Hurdy » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:18 am

i know the slogan, but there reporting about most things is pretty accurate. For some reason people take what bill oreilly says as journalism not opinion.one reason i support bush is because he makes more exciting news. cant wait till we go to war with iran, i know ill be watching the tv for hours again

Steven

Post by Steven » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:15 pm

daved2424+Mar 20 2005, 10:41 AM(daved2424 @ Mar 20 2005, 10:41 AM)

Who claims this though? Ah yes, Fox News and the rest of the right. I think you'll find they are no way near as liberal as the right make out. And it is bad that they have a conservative bias, journalism should be fair and balanced which is why Sky and the BBC in particular are so good at what they do.

A well respected, independent research group released figures this week showing that in the Presedential election campaign Bush received 3 times as much negative coverage as Kerry.

The BBC and Sky are bound by different regulations to the US news organisations and therefore it is wouldn't be 'fair' to compare them with their American counter-parts.

Kristian

Post by Kristian » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:36 am

Uhm, Bush deserves three times as much negative coverage. He delivers three times as much negative news to report on.

And I don't give much for "independent" research groups if they're american anyway.

daved2424

Post by daved2424 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:51 am

Steven+Mar 20 2005, 03:55 PM(Steven @ Mar 20 2005, 03:55 PM)

A well respected, independent research group released figures this week showing that in the Presedential election campaign Bush received 3 times as much negative coverage as Kerry.

The BBC and Sky are bound by different regulations to the US news organisations and therefore it is wouldn't be 'fair' to compare them with their American counter-parts.

Really, which research group is this?

And how is it not fair? Just because different laws apply doesn't mean I can't draw comparisons. That's like saying we can't compare gun crime with the US because they have different laws.