Football Season

Sports coverage discussions: BT Sport, BBC Sport, ITV Sport and Sky Sports
Tanya

Post by Tanya » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:25 pm

eagleeye+Dec 7 2004, 02:15 PM(eagleeye @ Dec 7 2004, 02:15 PM)

Juventus....

They are not that great anymore except for the Czech bloke with the long hair (help me out here, he was Euro footballer of the year but my brain's gone fut).

...hmmm, you mean Pavel Nedved (Czech player), he is a fantastic midfilder for Juventus, but I think that team also have some great forwards, like Alessandro Del Piero (Italian player), Zlatan Ibrahimovič (Swedish player) and David Trezequet (French player).

But I do agree with you that in the 80's footbal was much more simple and still a beatiful game,...now it is corrupted and overshadowed with too much money influence.

_______

Tanya

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:13 pm

All I know is that those that start slagging others, mmm like David Beckham and Wayne Rooney are just jealous.

Are you referring to me? Well of course I'm jealous! - They get six-figure salleries every week, for what, a twenty hour week? I bet I work my but off a lot harder than any of them but I don't get a six-figure sallery in the week and I don't have a twenty hour week.

I'm Irish and I support Ireland

I'm Irish and whenever Ireland play, I hope they lose! - Whenever there's a work cup, the country comes to a standstill and people end upo drinking at all hours of the day and its not a pretty sight and then if they win, they stand outside of the pubs waving flags - whats the point in that? I know I'm in Ireland and if I wanted flags waved in my face, I'd stand outside the Hilton or run around the airport.

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:50 pm

Oh and roads are for driving on, not for celebrating and drinking beer on.

rob237

Post by rob237 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:36 am

Apparently British Waterways and West Midlands Police are confidently expecting at least 50 floating Wolves supporters to be dragged from the River Wolf within the next couple of days............

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:00 pm

Apparently British Waterways and West Midlands Police are confidently expecting at least 50 floating Wolves supporters to be dragged from the River Wolf  within the next couple of days............

If this is some sort of joke or riddle, could someone please enlighten me as to what exactly it means?

Orla

Post by Orla » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:15 am

Everton.... B)

killer king

Post by killer king » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:40 pm

Manchester United.

Bananaman

Post by Bananaman » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:33 pm

Liverpool

sarahw

Post by sarahw » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:35 pm

Mr Byrne+Nov 6 2004, 09:24 PM(Mr Byrne @ Nov 6 2004, 09:24 PM)

1. "You worship men that don't care about you or even know you"

2. "I doubt any of you are actually good at football"

3. "The reason you english bastards are so into football is because your heads are so full of S*** from being bombarded with adds and news about David Beckham or Wayne Rooney or whatever all your lives."

- this is phrased very badly and insultingly satrical but you do get the gist of it that we are bombarded with advertisements and money seems to be the biggest factor in soccer (in particular) today.

finally: "after looking at some of your lives, I no longer fear death. " - LOL!

I support Southend United. The only reason for this being that I'm from Southend. Then again, imho there can be no better reason whatsoever to support a team (barring family connections). Football is completely tribal in that way and i don't mean that in a pejorative sense.

From what you're saying there, i don't feel you fully understand football or what it's like to be a football fan. We 'worship' players because they play for our team, which is in turn an extension of our community and ourselves. If an opposition player hacks down one of ours, or goes for a blatant dive in the box, we're not individually affected by it, yet we still take it as a personal affront. The players are direct representatives of the fans. You worship a team because it's in your blood and because it's part of your identity. Being a Geordie, for example, is in many synonymous with being a Newcastle fan.

On the second part of that point, they don't know the fans as individuals, granted, but they still care and interact with the fans on the terraces and to say they don't is ridiculous. Admittedly, some don't, but they get found out. If you're playing in front of thousands you want them on your side, not against you, so it's in your interests to care, and the players that do sincerely care about the fans more than most, become firm favourites with the fans, getting their full vocal backing at matches. The majority of players are fans themselves and, for the most part, they respect the emotional investment put in by the fee-paying supporters. If they don't, as i said, they get found out.

I've probably said too much already, so i'll keep the rest brief.

As what i've written already implies, footballing ability is utterly irrelevant, as others have already rightly mentioned. If you can't play, then the next best thing is to watch. Also, you want to watch the people who are good and at the pinnacle of their profession.

As for the third point, that is so far off the mark it's untrue and again highlights a severe lack of understanding of football. Football's been around a lot longer than mass-media and part of the national psyche for over a hundred years. Traditionally a working class sport, it offered (and still does) a life away from the boredom of the coalface, factory or office desk where you can revel in the fortunes of your local side, watching local lads take on other towns. Admittedly, it has moved on since then, but the sentiment is still the same.

If all the ads stopped tomorrow, would people stop going to football matches. Absolutely no way.

January

Post by January » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:27 am

As my dad lived in Highbury from the day he was born till he was 18 (he actually lived on Gillespie Road) I am, of course, a major Gooner. Looking forward to the North London derby tomorrow!

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:32 am

football has become a game for fairies these days,u touch a player,he goes down like hes been harpooned and rolls around grimacing like his knackers have been torn off,ref blows up for a free kick and dishes out a red card to the animal that breathed on the pansy on the floor and at that point he makes a miraculous recovery,getting up and scoring from free kick.i read in a footy mag that if players like souness,jones,mcmahon and early roy keane played todays game they would last on average 4 minutes a game.

rugby is a proper mans game,they beat the crap out of each other for 80 minutes then its in the bar and 'oh did i rip ya head open with my elbow chap?heres a pint of bombardier'

January

Post by January » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:41 am

LOL I'm afraid I have to agree with you there Guvnorgaz, but sadly I've been born into a family of footballers- rugbywise I support Saracens.

nicki

Post by nicki » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:18 pm

im AFC WIMBLEDON where real footie is played

AndyUK1966

Post by AndyUK1966 » Tue May 10, 2005 3:40 pm

The Blades and the faces sum up this season!!! :angry:

sarahw

Post by sarahw » Fri May 20, 2005 11:59 am

Sunderland B)