World Cup (Merged)

Sports coverage discussions including, BT, BBC, ITV and Sky Sports
calciofan

Post by calciofan » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:01 am

philg wrote:One more line to add as far as SSN's coverage of the World Cup is concerned, later in the tournament, Richard Keys and Andy Gray will present the 7pm World Cup Report, as they did in Euro 2004.

Confirmation of that http://home.skysports.com/worldcup/homearticle.asp?hlid=392413&CPID=4&clid=&lid=7190&title=World+Cup+reports+on+SSNhere.

BBC News 24 will present World Cup Sportsday twice throughout the tournament starting on Thursday at 6.30pm and 10.30pm - the same times as Sky News' Sportline programme.

The 30-minute programmes will include a round up of all the day's sports events as well as news, reports and build-up to the World Cup matches.

The Eagle

Post by The Eagle » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:28 am

Anybody see the early editions this morning? The side panel has been coloured orange with a World Cup, and the blue ticker is black. IIRC the grey ticker was also orange, but not sure. Looks really nice.

sevoman

Post by sevoman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:42 am

The Eagle wrote:Anybody see the early editions this morning? The side panel has been coloured orange with a World Cup, and the blue ticker is black. IIRC the grey ticker was also orange, but not sure. Looks really nice.

I know it's well ace! should be on longer!

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:23 pm

Its pointless, why do those 2 have to go to Germany to do the reports?They could do just the same from the UK studio.Sky News is cutting costs while the sports channel are paying presenters to spend 6 weeks at the World Cup on an all expenses paid holiday

Borowillie

Post by Borowillie » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:00 pm

I think as Sky Sports News they have to have a presence there, we'd only be complaning if they weren't there. Im sure Kelly & Dave will both be out & about gaining better access than sat in the studio back home. It's the World cup for gowd sakes i think the new layout etc... looks great. They'd be paid to present from the Studio back home anyway so hardly costing them a small fortune. At least it sets Sports News apart, I've been enjoying watchin it today.

one more thing! As they are doing reports from 7am - 10pm every single day as they have advertised I hardly think they are on holiday. I bet they don't even get to go to the matches, (ot that Kelly will be too bothered as a Scotland fan!)

txwharfrat

Post by txwharfrat » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:41 pm

Of course SSN should be out there! They are a sports news channel and this is the biggest sporting event of the year. Why should we care how much it costs - they aren't the BBC, they are a commercial outfit and what they do with their money is their problem, not ours.

I wonder why they chose David Jones to go out there though? I think he's one of the weakest of the presenters but yet he gets the fixed prime slot and all the good OBs? He's probably friendly with the bosses or something.

sevoman

Post by sevoman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:55 pm

all the press have places out there so they're not doing anything different, i think the graphics are amazing!

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:10 pm

Borowillie wrote:I think as Sky Sports News they have to have a presence there, we'd only be complaning if they weren't there. Im sure Kelly & Dave will both be out & about gaining better access than sat in the studio back home. It's the World cup for gowd sakes i think the new layout etc... looks great. They'd be paid to present from the Studio back home anyway so hardly costing them a small fortune. At least it sets Sports News apart, I've been enjoying watchin it today.

one more thing! As they are doing reports from 7am - 10pm every single day as they have advertised I hardly think they are on holiday. I bet they don't even get to go to the matches, (ot that Kelly will be too bothered as a Scotland fan!)

Kelly did 7am and 8am and then had the rest of the day off, if thats not a holiday I dont know wot is. the &pm slot will be done by Keys and Gray when the tournament starts and the 10pm slot is done by the presenters on the late shift from the Sky Sports News studio in UK. I wish I could work till 8.30am and then take the rest of the day off. And why send Kelly? She is a Scot for christs sake!

And on another note, I doubt I will be watching the BBC, there quality pundits are clueless, Mark Lawrenson has just mesmerised us with his knowledge by pointing out that Argentina will win it, Holland will go far and Ivory Coast will get to the quarter finals atleast and be the surprise of the competition, it will be a surprise as they are all in the same group and only 2 go through from each group!

The Eagle

Post by The Eagle » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:37 pm

guvnorgaz wrote:Kelly did 7am and 8am and then had the rest of the day off, if thats not a holiday I dont know wot is. the &pm slot will be done by Keys and Gray when the tournament starts and the 10pm slot is done by the presenters on the late shift from the Sky Sports News studio in UK. I wish I could work till 8.30am and then take the rest of the day off. And why send Kelly? She is a Scot for christs sake!

Kelly interviewed Bobby Charlton in the afternoon.

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:48 pm

The Eagle wrote:(post=14942:date=Jun 7 2006, 09:37 PM:name=guvnorgaz)(guvnorgaz @ Jun 7 2006, 09:37 PM) 14942
Kelly did 7am and 8am and then had the rest of the day off, if thats not a holiday I dont know wot is. the &pm slot will be done by Keys and Gray when the tournament starts and the 10pm slot is done by the presenters on the late shift from the Sky Sports News studio in UK. I wish I could work till 8.30am and then take the rest of the day off. And why send Kelly? She is a Scot for christs sake!

Kelly interviewed Bobby Charlton in the afternoon.

A 2 minute interview to add to an hour of presenting, she must feel overworked!

I guess they had to send her, being a Scot she wont get the chance to go to a World Cup otherwise. I asked my boss if I could work an hour a day while the World Cups on, he hasnt stopped laughing yet