Rachel Amatt Returning?

Discussions on news networks: BBC News, ITV News, Channel 4 News, 5 News and Sky News
SkyFanIreland

Post by SkyFanIreland » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:11 pm

TV Forum website is suggesting (quoting the Observer) that Rachel Amatt is returning to Sky News and will be appointed Europe Correspondent.

If its true i'm delighted.

She should never have been let go, particularly after her Beslan Siege reporting. I'm sniffing an award for that and now i suspect she'll be in the right place to collect it.

HBox

Post by HBox » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:19 pm

Interesting.

I think she would have/has been under-used at Channel 4 News.

Sky News is often the birthplace of a lot of talent but they should learn to retain some of this talent, i.e. Natasha Kaplinski (who I think has become worse since joining the BBC), Simon McCoy (again, under used at the BBC) and there numerous others that have moved on.

hamishnewhouse

Post by hamishnewhouse » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:23 pm

thats awesome news, if its true.

TV Newsroom

Post by TV Newsroom » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:11 pm

I posted the story on TV Forum mentioned above.

Here's the original piece from the Observer media diary:

Channel 4's glamorous north of England correspondent Rachel Amatt, recruited from Sky News last year, has been lured back to Isleworth by the big guns at BSkyB. Amatt, below, covered some big stories for the satellite broadcaster, including the Beslan siege, and was told by head of news Nick Pollard that the door would be left ajar should she ever wish to return. That door turned out to be a revolving one - Amatt is back just three months later, leaving Channel 4 with a vacancy to fill. She will be covering Europe for Sky and, according to one friend, her return has been on the cards for some time. 'They've been very good to her. She just loves Sky.' Well, someone has to.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business ... 71,00.html>

Skyinternational

Post by Skyinternational » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:06 pm

YES!!!!, that would be GREAT!!! I also remember the way she covered the Damilola Taylor murder inquiry.

dodrade

Post by dodrade » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:02 pm

Does this mean she took the channel 4 job as a ploy to gain promotion at sky?

Newsrat

Post by Newsrat » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:16 pm

HBox+Feb 13 2005, 12:11 PM(HBox @ Feb 13 2005, 12:11 PM)

Interesting.

I think she would have/has been under-used at Channel 4 News.

Sky News is often the birthplace of a lot of talent but they should learn to retain some of this talent, i.e. Natasha Kaplinski (who I think has become worse since joining the BBC), Simon McCoy (again, under used at the BBC) and there numerous others that have moved on.

Could this signal the return on all the defectors B) .

Simon McCoy and Natasha Kaplinsky Returns to Sky News B)

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:10 am

Dodrade - yes probably, why not?! It worked!

Siiiigh. The usual snide, silly mediaaah remarks 'she just loves Sky...well, someone has to'. Fine, fine, but say that about the BBC too (go on Observer, mediagraun etc I dare ya!) Yawn.

SkyFanIreland

Post by SkyFanIreland » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:49 am

Yes it's confirmed she is returning - check outhttp://www.skynewsgreenroom.co.ukSky Green Room and she is listed under foreign correspondents - saw her on channel 4 though in recent days so it could be another bit before she takes up the post

Surprising the Sky Press Office didn't do a release on her

DB