Correspondent Accents

Discussions on news networks: BBC News, ITV News, Channel 4 News, 5 News and Sky News
Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:37 pm

I have been watching the coverage of the Pope lately. One of the Correspondents in Rome seems to have an odd accent I cannot quite put my finger on; sounds American but not. Does anyone know where the accent is from?

skyspy

Post by skyspy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:36 pm

Stephen+Feb 4 2005, 11:29 AM(Stephen @ Feb 4 2005, 11:29 AM)

I have been watching the coverage of the Pope lately.  One of the Correspondents in Rome seems to have an odd accent I cannot quite put my finger on; sounds American but not.  Does anyone know where the accent is from?No I dont know who you are referring to .

When I hear Barbara serra speak I am reminded of some of the BBC reporters such as Barbara Plett and Lyse Doucet. Its an unusual accent that is only a little bit irritating and distracting.

daved2424

Post by daved2424 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:51 pm

Barbara Serra is Italian. Is this who you're talking about?

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:01 pm

Is Lyse Doucet Canadian/Quebecois [maybe]? I took an irrational dislike to her, not because of her accent though.

Talking of accents, Martin Bell once claimed that Christiane Amanpour's "exotic-type" accent is totally fake; that's she's really 'Cheltenham Ladies' College' posh - (this was in a book of his I read). Can anyone confirm that as if true, it's pretty impressive going on her part that it never slips!

I don't care if someone's 'foreign' as long as they are a good reporter. Having said that, it's incontestable that a certain Mr David Chater has the best voice in broadcast telly.