Below is a list of things that I find wrong with Sky News Ireland. I have also sent these points to Nick Purnell Managing Editor of Sky News Ireland, Victoria Dalton Programme Information Editor of Sky News, Laura Stephens, Head of Programme Information, Vicki Stride, Programme Information Co-ordinator & Sky News.
Dear Mr. Purnell,
I am a subscriber of Sky Digital and spend over ?60 per month and tonight I found out that it is a complete waste of money. I am a regular viewer of Sky News Ireland and have tonight never felt so embarrassed to be giving so much money for a pathetic news service in return. Below are just a few of the points about Sky News Ireland that I would like to make.
1. When I switched on Sky News just before Seven O'Clock this evening the most stupid voice introduced the show saying "Sky News Ireland with Brian Daly in Dublin & Ray Kennedy in Thailand". It was not the same person that introduces the Sky News programmes.
2. The graphics on Sky News Ireland are absolutely pathetic. When the show is starting it's opening sequence and displays Sky News Ireland the graphics go from England over to Ireland but they decide not to stop there, they go half ways to America before they realise that they actually have a show to run. And they displayed a Breaking News at the bottom of the screen several times during the show but not once was there audio effects with the Breaking News. Also on several occasions during the show there was blackouts and pauses for no reason. Also the clock on Sky News Ireland is different to that of Sky News UK, as is the bar telling you the weather for the days ahead.
3. I also don't understand why you have introduced "Your Watching Sky News Ireland brought to you nightly at 7 & 10". It's not as if it's advertisement. The people watching your show are the ones who know it's on. It's in the papers where you should be putting these adverts if you want to improve your ratings. Sky News UK never say anything of that sort.
4. Tonight there were two presenters, four reporters & a weather presenter on Sky News Ireland. Why couldn't Eibhl?n N? Chonghaile have covered the Cork 2005 story. Jeroham Hughes & Alison Murphy could have been at the airports for people coming home from the trauma but ye decide to give all them along with Gr?inne the day off. Myself and other Digital subscribers are paying your wages!
5. Sky News Ireland should at least be an hour long if not 24/7. Tonight during the weather they cut it off in the middle of the tape just to go back to Ray in Thailand. Ye are always running out of time in the show. Why can't ye just go on for an extra half hour. You could have the first half hour on the top stories, then some entertainment and lighter stories and finish up with sport and weather. It's not rocket science.
6. I also think that you should introduce the ticker since ye don't cover half enough stories.
If I do not see some significant improvements to Sky News Ireland I will be transferring over to Chorus or NTL. Why did I have to go to the trouble of writing this letter when you have an office full of people who were tonight reading the paper in the background. You seriously need to sort out your editorial section of your programme. I have also forwarded this letter to Victoria Dalton Programme Information Editor of Sky News, Laura Stephens, Head of Programme Information, Vicki Stride, Programme Information Co-ordinator & Sky News as in previous times when I e-mailed you I failed to get a reply.
I would also suggest that you visit
I am looking forward to hearing your response,
Hope this will make some improvments!