Flooding - Sky News Not First

Discussions on news networks: BBC News, ITV News, Channel 4 News, 5 News and Sky News
gillw

Post by gillw » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:07 pm

dseward+Aug 17 2004, 09:12 AM(dseward @ Aug 17 2004, 09:12 AM)

Sky seem to have pulled their finger out this morning with Martin Stanford presenting Sunrise from Cornwall. Maybe their van broke down on the M5 ???

Strangley ironic, but the funniest thing was the ad for "Sky News Technology" featuring the helicopter that was shown about 7-15pm last night.........

Sky Lad

Post by Sky Lad » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:36 pm

At around 3 am this morning there was a report on sky by andrew moore which was shot in day light.

Not sure if anyone else saw that.

Donna

Post by Donna » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:27 pm

Have Sky news EVER used the helicopter for anything other than promoting it?? I personally haven't seen anything, and I live in Spain and Sky is the only 24hour news channel we get.

You may have seen one of there promo videos where they sing the praises of everything Sky, and right at the end there is a Sky News reporter on the back of a donkey. Well maybe they are waiting for there reporter and donkey to arrive in Cornwall. After all, London to Cornwall via donkey will take awhile.

AJ

Post by AJ » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:36 pm

They do use it occasionally, but the instances are certainly few and far between. It was used this morning (around 17 hours after the flood), and I've seen it used for the Budget coverage (Kay Burley travelling from the North to the South of the country interviewing people)

I don't really think that its use on two occasions doesn't really warrant its purchase though, unfortunately. They could have used it for the "flood" in West London last week - but they didn't. The helicopter just seems to be another gimmick to add to the Sky News collection of whoosh bangs and newswalls.

As much as I love watching Sky News, it's become very painful viewing lately (possibly because of Summer Hols). I just hope they pull something astounding out of their hat when they relaunch later in the year.

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:33 am

Eibhlin N? chonghaile,of Sky News Ireland, used it to report on the bedroom the US President would be staying in Dromoland Castle in County Limerick.......however it was mainly used as a publicity stunt to try and promote SNI-which didn't really work

NEWSBOY2

Post by NEWSBOY2 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:03 am

I agree, it too reminded me of the Glasgow factory explosion, would have though Sky would have learnt their lesson. Sky was left trailing for hours. Even at 10pm Sky still had to show stills and not much else. Sky's coverage was a shambles.. If they couldn't beam live, using the satellite, why not stream through the net? Having to grovel to the viewers for hours upon end was just cringing, especially still at 11pm! They need to invest heavily in the regions, BBC will always have the advantage with its network of local radio stations which all have cameras ready to roll.

Sky Lad

Post by Sky Lad » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:16 am

To be fair the coverage has been good today though.

Maybe it was too late but I think today they did have the best coverage out of all the news channels.

But thinking about it wouldn't have been wise for sky to use their helicoptor last night. Considering how many there was already flying over a small area.

But they could have used it to fly a reporter with a camera into the area....

halo

Post by halo » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:57 pm

Its not often you get to say the ITV News Channel was the best of the news channels, things really did hit a low point when that happens. Shame as Sky is often the best news channel. With the London flood travel chaos a couple of weeks ago Sky were rubbish then aswell, the same clip of a white transit van in some water. BBC London and to a lesser extent BBC News 24 had access to the TFL cameras and used them extensively, the pictures were superb.

Easty

Post by Easty » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:29 pm

I didn't see the stroy break on Sky - although I did get a Sky SMS text about it.....

However, I did see coverage from about 7 and it was cr*p. Like all the other members of the forum are saying the stills were a dead loss. There was no live links until late evening.

I was flicking the channels a bit and I thought ITV came out on top. That shows how poor the show was from N24 and Sky.