David Chater

Discussions on news networks: BBC News, ITV News, Channel 4 News, 5 News and Sky News
eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:51 pm

Guess that was from Baghdad? I wonder what the driving time is these days - a wee bit faster than the 12 hours it used to be! (allowing for roadblocks). Phew.

Does anyone have a clip that's sendable (is that a word?) of the UK ad for Sky showing David having his cheeks pinched and a smacker planted on him by some Iraqi OAP and then shows him....riding a camel?? I don't suppose they'd let Johnnie post it on this site?? Sounds like some light relief in scary times...

OK, how does he really look on a camel?!! (JL - couldn't you put it in your captions section as well?)

Please guys keep me posted on what David's reporting etc. Thanks I really miss Sky News....

Friday: my french ISP's nuked my PC with its anti virus software so...over to you guys to keep me posted!!!! I'm after them with a steel tipped baguette!!! No Sky and now no internet (this is from a very expensive cybercafe)

maxi

Post by maxi » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:07 pm

Eagleeye, I think your eagleeyes need specs! If we are talking about the same ad on the adverts on this website, it's a horse not a camel!!

Where's that picture from please Johnnie? Is it Afghanistan or Iraq, and is that him being kissed by the white haired gent in the other picture? The thumbnails are very tiny pics. Can I make them bigger?

Still no Sky News. The package is way too costly right now. So please can someone also tell me what David is reporting about in detail ie not just he's in Iraq [where is he in Iraq pls?] as I miss his reports. Also those of Emma Hurd, who I guess has been reporting a lot today on the assassination of the Hamas leader? Thank you. Please help me and those without Sky right now out with some info.

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:38 am

....yep, Maxi is right! It's a horse, but if it makes you feel any better Eagleeye, it moves like a camel!

________

Tanya

edofis

Post by edofis » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:20 pm

David's been nominated a bafta! Woohoo! waheeey!

edofis

Post by edofis » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:03 pm

Not sure who the other nominees are but he's been nominated for a B.A.F.T.A. I didn't catch the whole story, which is why i'm idly waiting for it to come round again. Emma Hurd is in Gaza at the moment Live btw talking to whatserface in the studio. Sorry but i'm terrible with names.

While i'm waiting for the ads to end i'd like to respond to a p.m i received, agreed there is a lack of info on D.C for those of us who are too busy to watch sky or totally skyless, so, what i have to say to that is: Johnnie help us out because i have now appointed you chief Chater Watcher.

I've waited and not another mention of it. Maybe i missed it but i wasn't dreaming, honest. Right got to go now Littlejohn has just began and i've got better things to be doing. I'll keep an ear and an Eaagleeye out for you.

Ed

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:51 pm

Hey, that's great news about the BAFTA nomination!! Congratulations to David and boy is it well deserved. Let's hope the judges are sensible enough to give it to him!! (when are the awards announced?) Like the Bond song says.."nobody does it better"

As for that "camel/horse", well it's really quick on the video (on this site) so...Tanya, how d'you know it walks like a camel??!!!! I must say I did miss the 'umps first time around so I wasn't being very bright.... But in my defence, I was told it was a 'camel' by a daft and very short sighted friend who also thinks David looks like...Neil Diamond (aka "a very unreliable source"! Ultra lethal baguette on its way to her for that remark btw).

Assume the excellent Mr C is still in Iraq. What's he reporting about? Purrlease someone??

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:34 pm

Just checked and Sky's Fall of Baghdad is up against C4, BBC etc as per usual.

I just hope they realise that David was live for hours on his own; Channel 4's a bulletin based (excellent) news, but with a team working on it. What DC achieved throughout the war basically working on his own (as a journalist; unlike other channels, no back up journos) needs recognition. Come on BAFTA judges!

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:54 pm

Eagleeye wrote :

[As for that "camel/horse", well it's really quick on the video (on this site) so...Tanya, how d'you know it walks like a camel??!!!! I must say I did miss the 'umps first time around so I wasn't being very bright.... But in my defence, I was told it was a 'camel' by a daft and very short sighted friend who also thinks David looks like...Neil Diamond (aka "a very unreliable source"! Ultra lethal baguette on its way to her for that remark btw).

There must be some resemblance, otherwise you would probably spot the difference right away, if he would be sitting on a kangaroo!

Why am I talking about camels now??? Please Eagleeye, just keep going on BAFTA rewards.

________

Tanya

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:17 pm

Well, it's all very confusing. Some camels have one hump and others have two. Horses on the other hand, do not generally have humps but they have saddles which can look like humps. Especially after a few jars. And with two blokes on board (& pictured in a thumbnail photo... )Kangaroos on the other hand have that handbag thingie in front. But no humps. (as you can see, I've been doing some serious research).

OK OK I'll stop now...

Seriously guys - there's nothing at all on Sky's website either about DC reporting from Iraq, or the BAFTA nominations.

Will SOMEONE please tell me whether David is still in Iraq and where, and reporting on what??!! (not much point in being there if it isn't being shown on the news is there?)

Thank you!!!!

TV Newsroom

Post by TV Newsroom » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:23 pm

Been Busy, Haven't watched much news nor been online.... But i haven't seen DC in Iraq.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:25 pm

Anyone else - who has been watching Sky - have any news? About David in Iraq (or not) I mean, not humps...

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:51 pm

I hear via a friend that David was live on Sky after 10pm last night and also did a package. But he didn't see the reports.

Come on guys - help me out here. Where from, what did he say?!! There's nada on the Sky website...

TV Newsroom

Post by TV Newsroom » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:45 am

DC is still in Iraq. He just did a live on today with Martin....

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:06 pm

What did he say? Was he in Basra and it was about the Brit army action there or what pls?

thank you

TV Newsroom

Post by TV Newsroom » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:18 pm

Oh yeah sorry, He was in Baghdad reporting on the fights in Basra today..

he seemed really relaxed and it looks like he is enjoying his time over there....

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:46 pm

Relaxed? Ah well. It is good to have him out of his suits (so to speak! ) and doing some real reporting but I gather there hasn't been much on the news at all? When he gets back, I do wish Sky would ask him nicely to spend some time in their chatroom 'one year on' - if the chatroom still exists. Lots of questions to ask re what Iraq's like now, behind the headlines and whether he still feels at all positive.

Please keep me posted, Johnnie and anyone else. Thanks!

philg

Post by philg » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:58 pm

DC had a package today about the killings in Fallujah, and I saw him doing live links during the afternoon. He was generally talking about how violent the attacks in Fallujah were, and how they could not have happened anywhere except in the 'Sunni Triangle'

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:24 am

Thank you, Phil. I wonder what the US think they can do about that 'triangle'? It is out of control - completely - and the attacks were revolting.

There are so many questions that I would like to ask David....chatroom PLEASE Sky.

Pls continue to keep me posted when there are packages and lives as it's much appreciated; very frustrating not to be able to see the news. Thanks!

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:07 am

David did a report on "Iraqi Athletes" this morning. They will attend the Olympic games for the first time, not to be afraid of Sadam's regime.

________

Tanya

edofis

Post by edofis » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:20 pm

I caught some of sun-rise today and as Tanya says he done a piece about the Iraqi olympics team. He was relaxed and eloquent as always.

He was explaining how the athletes were treated under Uday Hussain and how when the football team lost a match he would make them play barefooted with an iron football.

Ed

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:13 pm

Still in Iraq then unless it was a pre-recorded package, but a 'live' from what you say. Thanks guys for the update. Keep 'em coming for old blindeye here. thanks

edofis

Post by edofis » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:47 am

Yeah, he's still in baghdad. He's reporting today from Baghdad about the demonstrations going on there, he's saying the crowds are being well controlled by the clerics, although it's very loud and very vocal the demonsrators have not yet provoked the u.s forces but it could easily get out of control as tempers are beginning to flare. The demonstators are millitant militiamen loyal to a radical shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-sadr. They are not very happy about the u.s closing down their newspaper and that they are determined to fight the u.s occupation.

Ed

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:08 am

He also made a report from Iraqi museum about "Lost Iraqis culture" this morning. Lots of valuable historical sculptures have been destroyed and stolen since the war started.

_______

Tanya

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:23 pm

Thanks Ed and Tanya. I guess those reports have now been updated with the news of the gun battles in Najaf. There was a longish report on the french news about that.

I read about al-Sadr and his followers and their extreme views on the dear_raed blogspot. What is David's 'take' on all the extremists coming out of the woodwork post Saddam or has he not said? Sometimes I think he is a little bit too positive - almost hoping against hope that it will get better - although he's there and we are just reading the 'constant bad news' headlines...please keep letting me know what he says & thank you!

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:15 am

DC was live on Sky News Today. He was reporting from Baghdad on another day of violence in Fallujah, Ramadi, Baghdad, Nasiriyah and Amarah ( where apparently British troops are in confrontation with Iraqis ). He also mentioned that these are the most dangerous times for foreign journalists at the moment.

_______

Tanya