Emma watch me fluff my lines Crosby

Discussions on news networks: BBC News, ITV News, Channel 4 News, 5 News and Sky News
Steven

Post by Steven » Sun May 30, 2004 11:21 am

Sky generally have the best rolling news operation - unlike BBC or ITV because their bulitins, i.e. Breakfast, Six O'clock News, the Evening News, News at 10.30 are seen as more important, whereas Sky doesn't have any bulitins like those mentioned.

ITV News Channel - they are strong on regionality. Although the Beeb has access to local news rooms, ITV uses theirs better.

Those bulletins are seen as more important by the people who watch them. Conversely, Sky News is more important to those who watch it.

I think the only reason that ITV use their regions so much is because it is a resource that is already available. I don't think that they use the regions "better", rather they rely on them to help fill air time.

I'm not a great watcher of regional news, but I'm of the opinion that BBC does it better than ITV, on the whole.

It's a gripe of many people on these forums and I'm going to take this opportunity to air it again. Sky could have programmes such as the BBC1 main bullietins, if they chose to. Indeed, I believe that they should have those peak, hard hitting bulletins.

NEWSBOY2

Post by NEWSBOY2 » Sun May 30, 2004 11:44 am

Sky One use to feature news bullentins, why where they stopped? What every happened to that guy think his name was Martin Wheeler who use to present them?

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Sun May 30, 2004 11:53 am

Really?Wow!Sky One does not seem an appropriate channel for news!!

Steven

Post by Steven » Sun May 30, 2004 12:12 pm

Yes I recall that to NEWSBOY2. They were really just headlines at teh top of each hour. Only broadcast during day time hours as I remember. I don't remember the presenter. But I do remember Allan King did at soem point.

Breakfast News

Post by Breakfast News » Sun May 30, 2004 1:07 pm

I meant that within BBC News/ITV News those bulitins ARE more important - eg. on the BBC Six O'Clock News - they would have a live OB from a correspondant first - then they would go to N24.

Eg. for ITV News - the NC goes to another studio, (CSO/London) to rehearse for the Evening News etc.

Whereas Sky News doesn't have any focused news -roundup bulitins. They could - they could also do analysis - but they don't. They focus their enery on one operation - BBC/ITV don't.

Steven

Post by Steven » Sun May 30, 2004 1:09 pm

I meant that within BBC News/ITV News those bulitins ARE more important - eg. on the BBC Six O'Clock News - they would have a live OB from a correspondant first - then they would go to N24.

Eg. for ITV News - the NC goes to another studio, (CSO/London) to rehearse for the Evening News etc.

Whereas Sky News doesn't have any focused news -roundup bulitins. They could - they could also do analysis - but they don't. They focus their enery on one operation - BBC/ITV don't.

Yes I did misunderstand your previous point, apologies.

It does bring up the question of what happens when Sky begin producing Five News!

Breakfast News

Post by Breakfast News » Sun May 30, 2004 1:14 pm

Yes I did misunderstand your previous point, apologies.

It does bring up the question of what happens when Sky begin producing Five News!

No probs mate!

I imagine when Sky begin producing the news for Five - there will be a dedicated team to actually produce Five News, but they will still use the same materials - newsgatherers etc.

Steven

Post by Steven » Sun May 30, 2004 1:21 pm

I imagine when Sky begin producing the news for Five - there will be a dedicated team to actually produce Five News, but they will still use the same materials - newsgatherers etc.

Well they will have their own team of producers and reporters. They will share correspondents by all accounts.

Hullo

Post by Hullo » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:27 am

This thread has moved away from the original topic! Let's get back to it. Emma Crosby would struggle to work on local radio. It's beyond me how she gets away with all the fluffs. And her ad-libs are desperately dull, while they are such good value when other presenters do their little fillers. Maybe she could move into admin or something, but get her out of the studio. Vote her off in the "big brother" poll!

Kristian

Post by Kristian » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:20 pm

Or maybe you should just leave it to experienced Sky bosses to know who's good enough and who isn't...

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:42 pm

Exactly----Hullo that was a really stupid comment for you to make.

Admin?? What next-stick Emma as a manager of newsagents shop??!!

She is far superior than that!

amarat

Post by amarat » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:53 pm

Or maybe you should just leave it to experienced Sky bosses to know who's good enough and who isn't...

actually.. i think its for me to decide

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:56 pm

would you like to explain why??

I sincerely doubt...it its normally team bosses who decide these things.

Easty

Post by Easty » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:25 pm

I like Emma Crosby. My Dad comes in from work and flicks on CNBC and I thought she was amazing at CNBC and I think she is great at Sky too.

Hullo

Post by Hullo » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:10 pm

There's no accounting for taste, that's all I can say.