Emma watch me fluff my lines Crosby

Discussions on news networks: BBC News, ITV News, Channel 4 News, 5 News and Sky News
Steven

Post by Steven » Fri May 28, 2004 6:39 am

Also I don?t know what you on about Newsrat by talking about ?mere correspondent?.

I think you'll find that was Eagleeye. The inverted commas were there for a reason. Perhaps to highlight the irony.

Hello

Post by Hello » Fri May 28, 2004 7:15 am

What about swapping Emma Crosby and Julie Etchingham about then? Ive found that when Emma does Sunrise or Skynews Today she is a lot better than when she does the later slots. Julie would be good on the later slots.

NEWSBOY2

Post by NEWSBOY2 » Fri May 28, 2004 7:19 am

Leave Juliet alone, you can't move someone who's capable in order to give someone else a boost. I like Juliet's interviewing technique and she seems to have a good rapport with politicans.

snfan

Post by snfan » Fri May 28, 2004 7:22 am

It is becoming clear to me that you should all occasionally switch the channel over for a change from sky news! everyone makes mistakes, does it really matter all that much that you have to personally attack Emma?

I think you should ALL get a grip

Skybaby

Post by Skybaby » Fri May 28, 2004 2:20 pm

Actually, Emma is the presenter that I've been most looking forward to watching again when I return home, just to see if there has been progress, but from reading this thread, it's amazing that Emma has been there for almost a year now and is still apparently Miss Mangle. And no one senior at Sky seems to have a problem with this? I understand that in this day and age you have to look nice and young and pretty to appear on screen because that's the current mentality, but being an under 25, and therefore someone who is supposed to put style over substance, I can tell you now that I'd far rather watch some ugly ancient person who has on-screen presence read the news than someone who is just there to brighten up the scenery.

Kristian

Post by Kristian » Fri May 28, 2004 2:31 pm

Saying Emma hasn't improved at all is just retarded. She may not be on the same level as the best of her colleagues yet, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been any improvement on her side at all. She's amazing when she's on with Steve. They're quickly becoming one of my favourite Sky presenting "couples".

How about attacking Chris Roberts once in a while? He's had some major f*ck-ups with Kay in the last few days, but none of you seem to care. I don't, at all, but how about being a bit less harsh on Emma, huh?

And that long face of hers is just.... pretty.

kev667

Post by kev667 » Fri May 28, 2004 3:28 pm

She's doing ok on SNT today. Maybe they've put her with Martin to gee her up & bit and get some fast paced, natural newsreading out of her.. Fridays can be quiet, or sometimes get really hectic. I'll report back on Emma's lines later - she seems, to me, much more capable of the job than anyone writing in these forums.. but still a little stilted, not confident & unnatural.. but in a trying way. she's trying.

she does need to look a little less blank when she's not speaking tho.

kev.

kev667

Post by kev667 » Fri May 28, 2004 3:29 pm

an excellent, error free news roundup standing at the newswall - ala martin, 10.30-34.

Kristian

Post by Kristian » Fri May 28, 2004 3:39 pm

Exactly what I was thinking.

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Fri May 28, 2004 3:41 pm

Emma makes a few mistakes however so does Kay Burley and Vivienne Creegor!

Anchor may not necessarily be a harder job than a correspondent however they have to be on the ball ALL THE TIME on EVERY NEWS STORY...I agree Emma is not on the top however she is only 26ish so leave her alone-she is far better than some of the Sky News readers we see these days.

Perhaps Emma should go onto the overnight shift for a while maybe a month or so, to perfect her style ,etc.....then again when Kay/Mark/chris/Anna/Julie/Martin/Lorna/Greg/Jeremy want their summer holidays Emma will obviously be taking over there shifts for a while.

And with re to Stevens point re journalistic ability-of course it is necessary, but looks and a GOOD PERSONALITY,especially the latter,are very NB for the majority of people in a newscaster.

BTW: The word "anchor" refers to someone like Jeremy Thompson who would be the anchor of the ship....Everyone else should be called newscasters(that is the proper term-presenter is wrong)

PS: Please leave Emma Crosby alone;nothing nice to say then shut up and say nothing-it is rather mean if she is reading[she is probably a forum member]

NEWSBOY2

Post by NEWSBOY2 » Fri May 28, 2004 4:15 pm

The phrase "anchor" originated from America with Walter Cronkite. If presenter is the wrong phrase then why does Sky use it?

NEWSBOY2

Post by NEWSBOY2 » Fri May 28, 2004 4:16 pm

Why did it seem that Martin was doing everything today, conducting interviews at the desk, and presenting from the news wall. Obviously a certain someone wasn't up to the usual share.

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Fri May 28, 2004 4:41 pm

Like you say two weeks =fortnight

News tv presenter= newscaster

i.e-different from a tv presenter like DavinaMcCall/Dermot O'Leary/June Sarpong,you see?

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Fri May 28, 2004 6:59 pm

I can tell you now that I'd far rather watch some ugly ancient person who has on-screen presence read the news than someone who is just there to brighten up the scenery.

OOh la la Skybabe - 'ugly ancient person'. Hoo? I hope you aren't referring to my personal anchor hero, Sir Trev McDoughnut?!!

Btw I've heard the journos themselves talk about "anchors". Even if some do get stuck in the mud sometimes. he he.

Breakfast News

Post by Breakfast News » Sat May 29, 2004 8:10 am

In the old days it was

BBC News - News Presenter

ITN - Newscaster

But nowadays, anchor and presenter are more commonly used. Anchor, does not necessarily mean, main, or high up news presenter.

I mix, news presenter, anchor, and caster together - because virtualy, in todays world of all journalists as presenters, they all mean the same.

Steven

Post by Steven » Sat May 29, 2004 5:37 pm

Like you say two weeks =fortnight

News tv presenter= newscaster

i.e-different from a tv presenter like DavinaMcCall/Dermot O'Leary/June Sarpong,you see?

Although two weeksis the same as a fortnight. Slightly flawed argument.

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Sat May 29, 2004 6:57 pm

u kno wat i mean

amarat

Post by amarat » Sun May 30, 2004 5:28 am

It is becoming clear to me that you should all occasionally switch the channel over for a change from sky news! everyone makes mistakes, does it really matter all that much that you have to personally attack Emma?

I think you should ALL get a grip

i totaly agree with u:) ur 100% right

NEWSBOY2

Post by NEWSBOY2 » Sun May 30, 2004 6:23 am

yeah i know. Peter Sissons on News 24 is shocking, i've never seen anyone bumble and fumble so much through a broadcast in my life. I thought after the whole Queen mother saga he would have polished up his act.

LittleRoss

Post by LittleRoss » Sun May 30, 2004 9:38 am

News 24 Is bad, and the new ITV Newsroom is just terrible design

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Sun May 30, 2004 9:43 am

News 24 Is bad

What,of course,you should have said was as follows: "News 24 is not as accomplished as Sky News"

How can you call BBC News 24 bad-I never watch as I think Sky is far better in my opinion but to call your national broadcaster with 100s of people all around the world at any moment(not quite sure the figure-but it is alot) bad,is very strange.......perhaps you meant to say you don't like it or their set-up or something....

But they are not "bad" They've accomplished newscasters,reporters and highly acclaimed correspondents all over the world.I'm not saying BBCNews24 is brilliant or anything like it but they are DEFINETLY NOT

"bad"!!

May I suggest before the GCSE English begins, learn some more wide ranging adjectives and vocabulary!!

[/b]

NEWSBOY2

Post by NEWSBOY2 » Sun May 30, 2004 10:39 am

Obviously he isn't that mature or articulate. What does he mean by "news room?". Just incase your confused the newsroom isn't the studio. News 24 isn't perfect but its vastly improved, hence the huge increase in ratings.

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Sun May 30, 2004 10:41 am

Yes newsboy ur right Little ross should have said "ITV News Studio"!!

Steven

Post by Steven » Sun May 30, 2004 11:09 am

How can you call BBC News 24 bad-I never watch as I think Sky is far better in my opinion but to call your national broadcaster with 100s of people all around the world at any moment(not quite sure the figure-but it is alot) bad,is very strange.......perhaps you meant to say you don't like it or their set-up or something....

Of course News 24 is different from the BBC as a) a state broadcaster and B) a news gathering organisation.

Breakfast News

Post by Breakfast News » Sun May 30, 2004 11:18 am

All 3 have strong points

Sky generally have the best rolling news operation - unlike BBC or ITV because their bulitins, i.e. Breakfast, Six O'clock News, the Evening News, News at 10.30 are seen as more important, whereas Sky doesn't have any bulitins like those mentioned.

News 24 is the best at analysis - loads of resourses, plus lots of experience. Programmes like Brekkie, and Newsnight demostate this. Evening on News 24 is the best time for analysis

ITV News Channel - they are strong on regionality. Although the Beeb has access to local news rooms, ITV uses theirs better.