Sky News wins best news channel

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Lone

Post by Lone » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:56 pm

SSLuke wrote:who cares about all these industry awards? They mean diddly squat to the viewer - and the fact is that BBC N24 is well ahead in ratings, where it matters.

True, but I wish N24 would stop with all the 'Most viewed news channel in Britain' (or something along those lines) that they've been doing for some time now.

Also, for me personally viewing figures actually matter very little, I percieve neutrality & impartiality to be far more important, which is why I probably spend more time watching Euronews more then BBC N24 and Sky News put together.

Lone

Post by Lone » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:36 am

irxin wrote:Sky news does not cost us one single penny to watch

This is due to change very soon:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/02/09/cnfree09.xmlFreeview to lose Sky News, Sky One & Sky Sports News

irxin

Post by irxin » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:36 am

It is a shame that they are coming off Freeview, although I have seen a article somewhere that Ofcom are looking at that.

I think they should stay as they like plurality in news supply and that would only leave news24 on freeview.

regards the comment that Sky news will not be free, I watch it quite a lot at my Club who have Freesat, despite the Beeboids opinion the ?150 set up is often cheaper than an aerial upgrade to get the inferior Freeview.

Lone

Post by Lone » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:19 pm

Considering very soon Sky News won't be 'free', the bill payer in my household is paying ?216+ for the privelage to have Sky, so in comparison the ?130 or so for the LF is much less to worry about.

Also, slightly off-topic but still relevant:

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2188201/freeview-moves-past-sky-numberFreeview tops Sky

Murdoch's satellite monopoly is coming to an end.