Missing Madeleine McCann - News Coverage

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Wed May 23, 2007 1:02 am

Anna's back in London after her 15-ish days in Portugal - She's presenting her usually shift tonight.

vicky23

Post by vicky23 » Wed May 23, 2007 5:57 pm

Johnnie wrote:Anna's back in London after her 15-ish days in Portugal - She's presenting her usually shift tonight.

Its good to see her back in London. I think Portugal took its toll on poor Anna

irxin

Post by irxin » Fri May 25, 2007 11:19 am

Must keep Anna doing the papers - she is having a lovely time tonight - i think she must have brought the odd bottle of port back with her.

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Sun May 27, 2007 5:15 am

Mary is back in Praia Da Luz and will be interviewing Gerry and Kate on tonight's Evening News.

Lone

Post by Lone » Sun May 27, 2007 7:21 am

lakewood wrote:As usual Sky News manages to turn a story into infotainment. With one eye on the ratings, the awards and praying that this might be a repeat of Soham

"This case has been picked up by most of the media and made into more than it deserves. The Portugese police aren't doing things the way certain parts of the press wish (not telling them everything that happens as it happens) so they are attacked. The man declared as a Formal Suspect is being set up as a villain in the popular press, even though the police do not have enough evidence to charge him for anything. It's time that British media took a step back..."

"All this attention will not help to bring the poor child back and at the end their parents will be disappointed while the owners of the TV channels and papers will rub their hands and count their money"

This is not another Diana story but it seems that Sky News is trying to create one.

This has become a disagreeable media-fest at which tabloids, broadsheets and broadcast news are feeding and has the smack of Diana about it

"This business of sharing everyone elses grief has gone too far. It started with the gruesome response to the death of The Princess of Wales |& has deteriorated from there. We may all have immense sympathy for the McCanns in their grief butwe cannot share it as we do not know them or their daughter."

"We all feel devastated and abhor this terrible happening, but remote sentimentality diminishes us all. "

But Sky News propogates and feeds on this sentimentality - It blurs the facts and it is not honest journalism - but since when did Sky News ever let facts get in the way of a good story.

x2

Well said.

irxin

Post by irxin » Sun May 27, 2007 3:06 pm

kaylover wrote:
lakewood wrote:As usual Sky News manages to turn a story into infotainment. With one eye on the ratings, the awards and praying that this might be a repeat of Soham

"This case has been picked up by most of the media and made into more than it deserves. The Portugese police aren't doing things the way certain parts of the press wish (not telling them everything that happens as it happens) so they are attacked. The man declared as a Formal Suspect is being set up as a villain in the popular press, even though the police do not have enough evidence to charge him for anything. It's time that British media took a step back..."

"All this attention will not help to bring the poor child back and at the end their parents will be disappointed while the owners of the TV channels and papers will rub their hands and count their money"

This is not another Diana story but it seems that Sky News is trying to create one.

This has become a disagreeable media-fest at which tabloids, broadsheets and broadcast news are feeding and has the smack of Diana about it

"This business of sharing everyone elses grief has gone too far. It started with the gruesome response to the death of The Princess of Wales |& has deteriorated from there. We may all have immense sympathy for the McCanns in their grief butwe cannot share it as we do not know them or their daughter."

"We all feel devastated and abhor this terrible happening, but remote sentimentality diminishes us all. "

But Sky News propogates and feeds on this sentimentality - It blurs the facts and it is not honest journalism - but since when did Sky News ever let facts get in the way of a good story.

Your ideas of how a news channel sould be sound very draconian. All news is good news for a news channel. News can be exciting and Sky play it that way. However on a personal level im sure all the staff at Sky News are hoping for a happy outcome.

x2 in response to lone - I do not think Sky is as quilty of bluring the facts nor dishonest journalism. As for the comment about facts getting in the way of a good story have you never watched the BBC?

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:19 pm

Looking at the ratings on BARB, it looks like Sky's rating has increased a fair bit over the last month, I wonder if thats a legit change in viewership or because of the news coverage of Madeleine McCann ?

skynewsfan18

Post by skynewsfan18 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:55 pm

yeah i looked at tha last week i think it has been steadily increasing i reckon if its beating bbc news 24

irxin

Post by irxin » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Never have been able to understand the BARB figures, why anyone who has Sky News would watch News24 except the occasional switch I do to check how they are covering a Sky story is beyond me.

SN always picks up when a major story is on, McCanns qualify as major, but I am surprised that they have held up so well as Virgin no longer carry it - and soon not on Freeview.

I don't know how BARB handle N24 on BBC1 and for that matter SkyN on Sky one?

Lone

Post by Lone » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:50 pm

Johnnie wrote:Looking at the ratings on BARB, it looks like Sky rating has increased a fair bit over the last month, I wonder if thats a legit change in viewership or because of the news coverage of Madeleine McCann ?

Which particular data sets do you look at Johnnie? Because in terms of weekly it's only been updated to 20th May, and Monthly is still stuck on April data.

Either way, I think you might be right in asserting the McCann story could be the main driving force behind this increase.