Sky News - General Thread

Discussions on news networks: BBC News, ITV News, Channel 4 News, 5 News and Sky News
guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:27 am

Will anyone in the midlands area please go and throw Kay Burley of that bridge

Lone

Post by Lone » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:17 am

guvnorgaz wrote:Will anyone in the midlands area please go and throw Kay Burley of that bridgeLOL. Is (was) it raining from where she was reporting? If so, did she look grumpy and misreable?

del

Post by del » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:03 am

Considering Steve Dixon managed to handle Tewkesbury, Evesham and the M5 for 2 days, having JT, Brazier and Burley in all three is a bit pointless. Oh well, it is sky.....

imagedude

Post by imagedude » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:24 pm

guvnorgaz wrote:Will anyone in the midlands area please go and throw Kay Burley of that bridgeShe was pretty shite today from that bridge,Steve was really very good over the weekend.and don't forget Anna Jones and martin Stanford from the newswall

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:34 am

Anna Jones was out and about aswell. Great stuff, you are up to your necks in water, have no electricity, no water supply, everything you own is ruined and Sky sends in The Burley Monster.And that clown on BBC was pathetic, screaming 'who are you and what are you doing?' at everyone who moved

irxin

Post by irxin » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:02 am

I agree with Guv for once - Beeboids screaming at anything that moves, I presume they have to if Sky are nearby or they would get nobody to talk too. I remember making the same comment during the Portuguese coverage. They presumably have courses on rudeness as well as the new ones on honesty.On telle tonight I see two of their rudest are now relegated to quiz show hosts.

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:36 am

Do we really need to see Jeremy Thompson in his wellies, standing in the water, to report on the floods?Cant it be done from the studio? And Kay Burley seems to think she is having a day out at the seaside

Lone

Post by Lone » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:04 pm

I had to laugh the other day when I saw them interviewing two people with a graphic window for each, and in the background there was a graphic running simulating rain.I would expect a Sixth form media student to come up with better ideas then what they're producing these days! :d

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:53 am

As usual they go over the top, spazzy intros and morbid music, its like Tales from the Crypt, Kay Burleys the Crypt Keeper! They dont need to be out there, they can report on this just as well from the studio. As the local council rep said this morning, if some other news story breaks thats sexier than the floods Sky News will be off like a shot

Lone

Post by Lone » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:39 pm

Yeah, can't disagree with you there Gaz. SN's less about delivering news and more about putting just about anything on the screen to bump their viewing figures. At the end of the day it doesn't make any difference to the average joe whether the presenter is in some middle of nowehere flood hit area or in the studio.And as we've seen over the past few days, news presenters don't perform well when they're standing in flood waters

paul 316

Post by paul 316 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:49 pm

I see Kay's back in the studio today, she must have got bored with wearing her wellies.

Jane and Ashish are out and about now.Sky seem to be cutting down on their constant live coverage of the floods now, something more important must be happening.

Lone

Post by Lone » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:39 pm

paul 3:16 wrote:Sky seem to be cutting down on their constant live coverage of the floods now, something more important must be happening.Either that, or the sheer boredom of their constant coverage is turning viewers away, hence Sky focusing elsewhere.

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:51 pm

They all piled down to the area yesterday because they were expecting the Thames to burst its banks in a big way and there would be a HUGE disaster, greater than what has already happened, as soon as they saw it wasnt going to happen they all come back. Those dimwits are actually disappointed it never happened.

lakewood

Post by lakewood » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:43 pm

Sky news are always like the proverbial Ambulance chasers and the worst ghoul that they have is Kay Burley - I dont know if it is a coincidence that when it was realised that the THAMES was going to be flooded - meaning LONDON was in "Danger"- suddenly the intensity of the reporting was stepped up and the "important" guns were shipped in i.e Jeremy Thompson and her highness Lady Burley. I don't recall the same intensity of reportting of the floods in the "North" the other week.

paul 316

Post by paul 316 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:48 pm

we've back to normal today, even Julie is back with Colin. I feel like smileing lol.

classeyham

Post by classeyham » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:04 pm

lakewood wrote:Sky news are always like the proverbial Ambulance chasers and the worst ghoul that they have is Kay Burley - I dont know if it is a coincidence that when it was realised that the THAMES was going to be flooded - meaning LONDON was in "Danger"- suddenly the intensity of the reporting was stepped up and the "important" guns were shipped in i.e Jeremy Thompson and her highness Lady Burley. I don't recall the same intensity of reportting of the floods in the "North" the other week.Her Highness can not skate right now...I am sure, you are right with the Thames vs. The North the other week - "lakewood" - but remember - that Her Highness Lady Kay Burley can not skate on the THAMES just now...Classeyham!

me

Post by me » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:09 pm

My apology if this has been repeated on the forums but what has happened to Andrew Wilson and where is he now.I have found a report on the web that says Robert Nisbet will take his place in September and Catherine Jacob will take Robert Nisbet's place as Environment commentator. Here is the linkhttp://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/a6922 ... -news.html>

imagedude

Post by imagedude » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:42 pm

Honestly, I'm away for a few days, and you all start squabbling over Dame Kay.She's mine. End of.I have to say, the bits that i did see of her were quite gripping actually. First we were brought news of how she might have a runny nose, and then, a major drama occured as she started screaming (quite literally) at an elderly couple to walk slowly in through the flood water as they tried to make their escape from the Ice Queen.Simply thrilling.

Anyway can't wait to see her daily broadcast to the nation (assuming she's not away) tomurrow as I've been away for the past 10 days in Tunisia and will be going to land of Oz for a month on wednesday.

dan_mase

Post by dan_mase » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:38 pm

andrew wilson will be moving into the studio at the start of sept presumably covering for Lorna who will go on maternity leave

HOWIE

Post by HOWIE » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:27 am

Is Jayne Secker back on Sky news full time now, as it is good to see her back

Lone

Post by Lone » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:30 pm

Is it me or has Lisa Burke been demoted back to weather presenter?

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:39 pm

She was back on over the weekend, she hasnt had much to do as the science corespondent has she?

kaylover

Post by kaylover » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:02 pm

Is Sunday & Saturday Live now going to be with Lorna & Steve? They seem to have new opening titles, like the old sky news today ones.

Lone

Post by Lone » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:10 am

guvnorgaz wrote:She was back on over the weekend, she hasnt had much to do as the science corespondent has she?Yeah, she hasn't been doing much at all, though I would've thought the current Foot & Mouth outbreak would have given her another opportunity to get stuck in a lab reporting on some tests.

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:04 pm

She was dunking some test tubes into the flood water the other week, to show us the water was polluted, no need really, you could tell that by all the turds floating around that it wasnt Evian quality