Sky News - General Thread

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:23 pm

vicky23 wrote:And where has the 'Hats off to Brazier' thread gone. I spent many an hour adding posts

http://www.tvnewsroom.co.uk/forum/hat-s-off-to-brazier-t1836.htmlit's on the second page of topics

Nell

Post by Nell » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:26 pm

News at Seven back to normal tonight,with Anna Jones standing up rather than at the desk as has been the case the last week.

Also noticed that "News At Seven" now has its own logo,it was displayed on the desk,a small but positive move i feel.

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:04 am

fodg09 wrote:News at Seven back to normal tonight,with Anna Jones standing up rather than at the desk as has been the case the last week.

Also noticed that "News At Seven" now has its own logo,it was displayed on the desk,a small but positive move i feel.

'News at Seven' is presented from the desk. it comes from the elbow on Mondays because Jeff Randall is using the desk.

EDIT: Some great studio pans tonight, jib op working overtime.

DRL

Post by DRL » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:56 pm

Today's Guardian has an interesting article on Sky News, written by Andrew Neil. It presents a very worrying picture of the future of the channel, especially its reduced availability in the future and, as a result, potentially much lower viewing figures. There is even a suggestion that its long-term viability could be at risk.

This is sad for those of us who are long-term regular Sky News viewers. It's clearly still the only news channel worth watching, but it used to be so much better. I can't be the only person who cannot watch the likes of Kay Burley and Andrew Wilson, so now avoid the channel at those times. Channel 4 News has begun to reassert its appeal for me, and there are signs that News at Ten will revive with Trevor MacDonald and Julie Etchingham. Sky News does seem to be slipping!

Could the powers-that-be at Sky be convinced about the following points.

1. It is the best news channel and has the country's No 1 experts in certain fields, such as Adam Boulton, Tim Marshall and Martin Brunt.

2. Some recent changes have been ill-advised and should be ditched. Tabloid-type frontmen (or women) such as Kay Burley and Andrew Wilson are a turn-off. Bring back the much-underused Martin Stanford, Paula Middlehurst, Allan King, Martin Popplewell, etc.

3. Avoid losing Sky News from Freeview, Virgin, etc. In recent years the population has been saying " I turned on Sky News to see whether.....had happened". It would be a shame if that universal familiarity with the brand became eroded.

Is there any chance of these things happening?

skynewsfan18

Post by skynewsfan18 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:19 am

I TOTALLY AGREE ABOUT ANDREW WILSON I CANT STAND TO WATCH HIM HE THINKS HE SO SPECIAL GET RID OF HIM AND REGARDING THE WEEKEND NEWS WE DONT NEED ALL THESE HOURS OF STEVE DIXON HES GD BUT I DONT WANT TO SEE HIM EVERY HOUR OF THE DAY

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:27 pm

I agree with that, seeing the same face all day is to much, regardless of who it is

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:57 pm

In a press release today, the BBC say "BBC News 24 increased its lead over Sky News and now has over 50% more viewers than its rival." The Figures are based on the latest data, covering the period from January to November 2007.

Jeff Randall is done for the Christmas Period, A special Technofile is on tonight. Next week there's a Madeleine McCann special.

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:15 pm

Was Anna Jones on last night?

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:25 pm

I wonder if Mark White, Matt Smith, Martin Brunt, Adam Boulton and the rest of the Male Staff at Sky will start turning up to work in Jeans and no tie, after all Steve Hargraves is allowed to.

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:10 pm

Michelle Clifford covering two stories in New York today. She was reporting live from outside the NYSE on the recent market troubles and tonight she's outside the apartment of Heath Ledger (found dead today) - Makes a change from the usual Washington background.

Sky News are double heading Sky News at Ten. Samantha Simmonds staying on with Anna Jones to cover the story of MR. Ledger.