BBC News Presenters Set to Strike!

Discussions on news networks: BBC News, ITV News, Channel 4 News, 5 News and Sky News
Lone

Post by Lone » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:33 pm

irxin wrote:Hi Lone, Sorry I think the BBC has been the Dictator in this country for years along with its aids the Guardian and Independent.

Sky is more balanced than the BBC, an example is that British Forces Broadcasting feed the troops with Sky News rather than News24 ? Presumably, the majority of 200,000 odd servicemen prefer their coverage.

Fox News is not suitable for our tastes at all but that has nothing to do with the argument, as I mentioned Sky News use CBS not Fox for their American coverage in the small hours.

I have just watched the start of Al Jazeera, looks like I will tune into them far more than I ever look at Fox, or CNN. One early observation is not a single female presenter or reporter wearing as much as a headscarf ? What does that say about the PC attitude of the BBC (all right and Sky) who done a headscarf the minute they get off the plane in a Muslim country.

Well I suppose it also depends on your own personal political opinions and beliefs.

I'm sure the Armed Forces would prefer Sky to News 24, just as the US military would prefer Fox to CNN, because Murdoch is far more likely to present the news and them in a more favourable light.

Personally I find a lot of things about Sky's coverage distasteful, and though their bias is nowhere near as blatantly evident as Fox, at times it is possible to pick up on it. You can even sometimes draw similarities between the headlines of The Sun and Sky's own headlines. The recent veil issue is a good example. After the initial hoo-haa with Straw's comments, there was a brief lull. Then The Sun decided to take up issue with it a few days after, and Sky followed suit by headlining the veil issue yet again, continuing with the Islamaphobic theme which can be traced through most of Murdoch's outlets. Lebanon is another good example, Sky spent a disproportionate amount of time on covering the Israeli side and interviews with Israeli heads then would be merrited of an unbiased organisation. Sky is, and always has been very pro-Israeli, and that is a big turn off from me. That and the fact that Sky seems to have a culture of 'sex sells' with it's presenters, far more then the BBC and something which I'd expect more from across the pond.

As I've said before, I'm not a big fan of BBC's news coverage, I find it biased too. During the build up to the Iraq war the BBC were just as guilty as Sky of promoting the governments pro war agenda.

Lastly, with regards to presenters wearing headscarves, personally I don't have any problem or issue with them wearing it. That's just my opinion.

irxin

Post by irxin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:46 pm

?The BBC said that at 2230 GMT on Tuesday, 61% of people "who were scheduled on the rota and expected in" were striking.

That number had dropped to 39% by 1030 GMT on Wednesday, the spokeswoman said.

The standard of Tuesday evening's 10 O'Clock News on BBC One and Newsnight on BBC Two had been "fairly consistent with what it would normally be", she added?

The above is from the BBC news website ? It would seem to prove that they are completely overstaffed if output was hardly affected.

I watch very little News24, where they affected?

Lone

Post by Lone » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:57 pm

irxin wrote:?The BBC said that at 2230 GMT on Tuesday, 61% of people "who were scheduled on the rota and expected in" were striking.

That number had dropped to 39% by 1030 GMT on Wednesday, the spokeswoman said.

The standard of Tuesday evening's 10 O'Clock News on BBC One and Newsnight on BBC Two had been "fairly consistent with what it would normally be", she added?

The above is from the BBC news website ? It would seem to prove that they are completely overstaffed if output was hardly affected.

I watch very little News24, where they affected?

I totally forgot when they were stricking, so I didn't pay much attention when watching on Tuesday, looking back they didn't seem affected. And I've been watching AJI since yesterday so again, can't really tell.

mickey

Post by mickey » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:22 pm

Perhaps the striking techs have joined the BBC presenters that have already made the move to Al Jazeera International? Also many of the team at Sky News, ITV & CNN appear to have decided to work for AJI (even the Sky News weather girl has jumped ship)!

I watched some of the AJI programming today and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of moslem World bias.

Lone

Post by Lone » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:09 am

mickey wrote:Perhaps the striking techs have joined the BBC presenters that have already made the move to Al Jazeera International? Also many of the team at Sky News, ITV & CNN appear to have decided to work for AJI (even the Sky News weather girl has jumped ship)!

I watched some of the AJI programming today and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of moslem World bias.

Yes, I have to agree I am very impressed, not only at the variety of presenters they have from all over the world but also (so far) their apparant impartiality. Dare I say I might even grow to trust them more then Sky.

P.s. Mickey, it's spelt muslim, not moslem :tongue:

mickey

Post by mickey » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:00 am

I've just shot the spell checker

mickey

Post by mickey » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:05 pm

Lone - just checking around on Google and the use of "Moslem" or "Muslim" is equaly applicable. Though "Muslim" has become more acceptable in recent years. Wikedia mentions:

"Until the late 1980s, the term Moslem was commonly used. Muslims do not recommend this spelling because it is often pronounced "mawzlem" /mɒzlɛm/ which sounds somewhat similar to an Arabic word for "oppressed" (Za'lem in Arabic)"

Also: Up until at least the mid 1960s, many English-language writers used the term Mohammedans or Mahometans.

I'm definitely over 26 years old! So I guess I'm old fashion but I'll use the modern term from now on

Mickey

Lone

Post by Lone » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:11 pm

mickey wrote:Lone - just checking around on Google and the use of "Moslem" or "Muslim" is equaly applicable. Though "Muslim" has become more acceptable in recent years. Wikedia mentions:

"Until the late 1980s, the term Moslem was commonly used. Muslims do not recommend this spelling because it is often pronounced "mawzlem" /mɒzlɛm/ which sounds somewhat similar to an Arabic word for "oppressed" (Za'lem in Arabic)"

Also: Up until at least the mid 1960s, many English-language writers used the term Mohammedans or Mahometans.

I'm definitely over 26 years old! So I guess I'm old fashion but I'll use the modern term from now on

Mickey

Interesting, I have certainly heard of it being used before, but I always thought it was something which the yanks 'Americanized' due to their pronounciation (and often refusal to accept other forms of spelling and grammer).

mickey

Post by mickey » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:59 pm

Lone - you could be right the pronunciation of "Moslem" as "Mawzlem" definitely has an American drawl to it.

irxin

Post by irxin » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:27 am

Hi Lone - You included a day or so this comment - "That and the fact that Sky seems to have a culture of 'sex sells' with it's presenters, far more then the BBC and something which I'd expect more from across the pond.

A couple of years ago Sky News had news presenter well up to their usual quality - She was stolen by the BBC using, no doubt, their bottomless pockets.

She is now yet another "C List" celebrity who I have no desire to watch on a serrious news program - In case you don't realise I am refering to Natasha Kaplinsky.

Lone

Post by Lone » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:15 am

irxin wrote:Hi Lone - You included a day or so this comment - "That and the fact that Sky seems to have a culture of 'sex sells' with it's presenters, far more then the BBC and something which I'd expect more from across the pond.

A couple of years ago Sky News had news presenter well up to their usual quality - She was stolen by the BBC using, no doubt, their bottomless pockets.

She is now yet another "C List" celebrity who I have no desire to watch on a serrious news program - In case you don't realise I am refering to Natasha Kaplinsky.

Fair point about Kaplinsky, with regards to her case I'd say both the BBC and Sky are guilty of hiring her more for her looks then her newsreading ability.

However, I challange anyone to state that the BBC News team, including the news readers, sports correspondants and weather forecasters, are more attractive then their Sky counterparts. This much I will give to Sky, when it comes to sex appeal their people win hands down.

irxin

Post by irxin » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:20 am

Lone wrote:(post=17228:date=Nov 17 2006, 02:13 PM:name=irxin)(irxin @ Nov 17 2006, 02:13 PM) 17228

Hi Lone - You included a day or so this comment - "That and the fact that Sky seems to have a culture of 'sex sells' with it's presenters, far more then the BBC and something which I'd expect more from across the pond.

Fair point about Kaplinsky, with regards to her case I'd say both the BBC and Sky are guilty of hiring her more for her looks then her newsreading ability.

However, I challange anyone to state that the BBC News team, including the news readers, sports correspondants and weather forecasters, are more attractive then their Sky counterparts. This much I will give to Sky, when it comes to sex appeal their people win hands down.

Agreed no contest - The only news24 I would like to see get a transfer to Sky is Julia Caesar on their business reports.

Lone

Post by Lone » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:20 am

irxin wrote:Agreed no contest - The only news24 I would like to see get a transfer to Sky is Julia Caesar on their business reports.

To be fair, I think Jane Hill and Kate Silverton deserve a worthy mention, and there's another presenter who used to present the sport, can't remember her name. Sophie Raworth has really blossomed on the One O'Clock news, and of course there's the lovely Fiona Bruce, who's more then a match for Mrs Burley IMO.

irxin

Post by irxin » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:33 am

Lone wrote:(post=17230:date=Nov 17 2006, 07:57 PM:name=irxin)(irxin @ Nov 17 2006, 07:57 PM) 17230

Agreed no contest - The only news24 I would like to see get a transfer to Sky is Julia Caesar on their business reports.

To be fair, I think Jane Hill and Kate Silverton deserve a worthy mention, and there's another presenter who used to present the sport, can't remember her name. Sophie Raworth has really blossomed on the One O'Clock news, and of course there's the lovely Fiona Bruce, who's more then a match for Mrs Burley IMO.

Considering the number of Beeb news presenters you had to think hard - It is a freightning thought how many BBC people are reading much the same news at any hour over all their TV and Radio channels.

I had to find screen shots of your choices, Jane Hill would probably fit in at Sky but not keen on your other choices.

mickey

Post by mickey » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:03 am

Don't forget that all the "beautiful" BBC girls are paid for from the compulsory TVL (tax) by force of law to watch them!

They can sprawl on the breakfast time BBC sofa and show their legs as an enticement - but beware the sirens of the rocks!! The TVL enformence Polize are watching.

Mickey

Lone

Post by Lone » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:49 pm

mickey wrote:Don't forget that all the "beautiful" BBC girls are paid for from the compulsory TVL (tax) by force of law to watch them!

They can sprawl on the breakfast time BBC sofa and show their legs as an enticement - but beware the sirens of the rocks!! The TVL enformence Polize are watching.

Mickey

Would you suggest making them cover their legs so as not to entice?

With regards to choices, to each his own is what I would say. Though personally I like brains with beauty, and most (but not all) of the BBC females aren't lacking in the cranium department.

mickey

Post by mickey » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:16 pm

They could wear burqas if it meant that the compulsory TVL was bannished to the dustbin of history. Come to think of it they don't have a TVL tax in Afghanistan and we had a war to liberate them - can we have the same here Tony?

Mickey

irxin

Post by irxin » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:29 pm

mickey wrote:They could wear burqas if it meant that the compulsory TVL was bannished to the dustbin of history. Come to think of it they don't have a TVL tax in Afghanistan and we had a war to liberate them - can we have the same here Tony?

Mickey

Checked on Wiki, no mention of Afganistan although I do like the Austrailian History:

"Australia

Radio licence fees were introduced in Australia in the 1920s to fund the first privately owned broadcasters which were not permitted to sell advertising. With the formation of the government-owned Australian Broadcasting Commission in 1932 the licence fees were used to fund ABC broadcasts while the privately owned stations were permitted to seek revenue from advertising and sponsorship. Television licence fees were also introduced in 1956 when the ABC began TV transmissions. All licence fees were abolished in 1974 by the Australian Labor Party government led by Gough Whitlam on the basis that it was an unfair and regressive tax. The ABC has since then been funded by government grants, now totalling around A$800 million a year, and its own commercial activities (merchandising, overseas sale of programmes, etc.)."

My "bolds" above, The A$800 is ? .4 Billion - remember our direct taxation pays the Beeb twice that out of taxation not counting the ?2.6 Billion Telly Tax

Lone

Post by Lone » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:38 pm

mickey wrote:They could wear burqas if it meant that the compulsory TVL was bannished to the dustbin of history. Come to think of it they don't have a TVL tax in Afghanistan and we had a war to liberate them - can we have the same here Tony?

Mickey

LOL, liberate them? Is that what it's called? Or is that what Sky and/or beeb would have us believe?

They could just do away with the presenters and have news footage instead (seriously), no big paypackets to lure ex-Sky employees to present the 10 O'clock news.

mickey

Post by mickey » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:51 pm

Lone wrote:(post=17261:date=Nov 18 2006, 08:25 PM:name=mickey)(mickey @ Nov 18 2006, 08:25 PM) 17261

They could wear burqas if it meant that the compulsory TVL was bannished to the dustbin of history. Come to think of it they don't have a TVL tax in Afghanistan and we had a war to liberate them - can we have the same here Tony?

Mickey

LOL, liberate them? Is that what it's called? Or is that what Sky and/or beeb would have us believe?

They could just do away with the presenters and have news footage instead (seriously), no big paypackets to lure ex-Sky employees to present the 10 O'clock news.

Hi Lone - I can remember the days when the News Readers wore DJ's and the ladies were not allowed to be in view. Those were the days of decorum & grace. But that said give me the girls on the sofa anytime

Mickey