Sky News wields the axe

Discussions on news networks: BBC News, ITV News, Channel 4 News, 5 News and Sky News
DDP

Post by DDP » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:13 am

It has never surprised me that the viewing figures were rough. It's not exactly inviting to watch when you can barely make out the presenters seeing as they put so much disatance between them and the presenters themselves. Money could have been saved on the studio (which wasn't exactly a grave concern) and pointless appointments that again must have cost a tidy sum ie: Holmes and Rubin.

I know, all been said before

calciofan

Post by calciofan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:15 am

I'm delighted to see the rolling news format return, and the new presenter line-ups.

However, I have to say, Sky News have lost two of their best foreign correspondents in David Chater and Richard Bestic. Both were award-winning correspondents who have done great jobs for the channel.

Foreign news has been one of Sky News' strong points since the channel launched. The two gaps will be very difficult to replace and they will need to put into place another good correspondent.

At the re-launch, I was looking at Sky extending their foreign correspondents by having atleast one in South America and one in Oceania regions. Unfortunately, with these staff cuts - it looks unlikely!

Hopefully the likes of Emma Hurd, Laurence Lee and Dominic Waghorn don't leave their current areas.

One more point... hopefully the content improves on the channel too. Less stories and gossiping about sport and entertainment, there's Sky Sports News, Sky News Active and the weekend time for those!

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:21 am

I dont see why a News channel on a network that has a dedicated sports news channel needs to report on sport so much

del

Post by del » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:16 pm

Because it's the world cup.

To be fair, looking at all the changes Juliette Foster shouldn't have gone, unless there was a falling out.....and it probably would have cost too much to pay-off Eammon Holmes.

In saying that, I think Charlie (Thomas?) on the sport has improved a lot lately suprised he isn't co-hosting sportsline or something.

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:28 pm

OperaGhost wrote:Because it's the world cup.

To be fair, looking at all the changes Juliette Foster shouldn't have gone, unless there was a falling out.....and it probably would have cost too much to pay-off Eammon Holmes.

In saying that, I think Charlie (Thomas?) on the sport has improved a lot lately suprised he isn't co-hosting sportsline or something.

Its not just the World Cup, its been sport,sport,sport for months now.Sky Sports News will be showing PMQ's next

jk80

Post by jk80 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:59 pm

guvnorgaz wrote:(post=14959:date=Jun 8 2006, 07:14 AM:name=OperaGhost)(OperaGhost @ Jun 8 2006, 07:14 AM) 14959

Because it's the world cup.

Its not just the World Cup, its been sport,sport,sport for months now.Sky Sports News will be showing PMQ's next

I agree. The fact that Wayne Rooney will be fit for some of the World Cup shouldn't ever be the top story, for example, IMHO.

irxin wrote:"Sky spent a lot of money on unnecessary things like a fancy set, better graphics, having three presenters rather than two (or one!) etc when these are not the things that make people choose a news channel, in my view."

Before I comment on the changes I would definitely take issue with the above made earlier.

Unlike the Teletax funded competition Sky News is a service provided to us for free, they can spend their money however they see fit.

I don't believe I was taking issue with Sky's right to spend its money on whatever it likes, my point was that they should not spend a fortune on superficial things and expect there to be an increase in audience share as a result.

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:45 pm

They were almost disappointed at having to leave Rooneys foot and report on Al Zarqawi

dustymoo

Post by dustymoo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:27 pm

I think it's right that Ginny and Rubin should go. Although i have a soft spot for Ginny, and it was great to see a working class northern girl on SkyNews, but i will admit she was quite poor at times? It's a bit harsh, but Rubin just struck me as a moron!

HOWIE

Post by HOWIE » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:37 am

Any more axing today lol, what's the weekend schedule going to be ?

ginnyfan

Post by ginnyfan » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:51 am

I feel sorry for poor Ginny. She must be shocked and angry, they could at least let her work until the end of the month.