Sky News wields the axe

Discussions on news networks: BBC News, ITV News, Channel 4 News, 5 News and Sky News
TV Newsroom

Post by TV Newsroom » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:17 pm

Sky News have just released this statement:

STATEMENT ON SKY NEWS SCHEDULE CHANGES

Sky News is focusing its resources and making a number of changes to its evening schedule.

The new schedule will be:

1700-1800 Live at Five Jeremy Thompson

1800-2000 Sky News Jeremy Thompson and Anna Botting

2000-2200 To be announced Martin Stanford

2200-2230 News at Ten Martin Stanford and Gillian Joseph

2230-2300 Sportsline Jon Desborough

2300-0000 Sky NewsTonight Martin Stanford and Gillian Joseph

The rest of the day will be as follows:

0600-0900 Sunrise Eamonn Holmes and Lorna Dunkley

0900-1200 Sky News Today Chris Roberts and Anna Jones

1200-1400 Lunchtime Live Kay Burley

1400-1700 Sky News Today Mark Longhurst and Julie Etchingham

The new line-up will go live on Monday, 10 July, 2006.

With these schedule changes seventeen members of staff will be leaving the company as part of Sky News' continuing drive to operate a highly efficient and effective organisation.

Dawn Airey, Managing Director, Channels and Services, said: ?Sky News is known for fast, accurate journalism that sets the benchmark for our competitors, just as we were first with the news of last week's police raids against suspected terrorists in London, the Thames Whale and the Norman Kember release.

Like any good news broadcaster, our goal is to continuously innovate and improve our news service, Sky's determination to be the best 24 hour news service is as strong as ever?

Nick Pollard, Head of Sky News, said: ?The journalists on both World News Tonight and The Sky Report have worked incredibly hard to produce some outstanding and original journalism. One of the aims of the schedule change is to integrate some of the strengths within our general programming, rather than focussing that effort solely on to two specific peak time shows.?

HOWIE

Post by HOWIE » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:17 pm

At the end I think Emma Crosby, Steve Dixon & Allan King could have a better poistion apart from weekends, I say bring them into the weekday slots, & even bring Mark & Kay back together like today.

irxin

Post by irxin » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:26 pm

"Sky spent a lot of money on unnecessary things like a fancy set, better graphics, having three presenters rather than two (or one!) etc when these are not the things that make people choose a news channel, in my view."

Before I comment on the changes I would definitely take issue with the above made earlier.

Unlike the Teletax funded competition Sky News is a service provided to us for free, they can spend their money however they see fit.

They have, in my opinion, always given better balanced coverage than News24 and I could not believe it when they lost 'News Channel of the Year' for the first time. The Beeb have, our, unlimited funds, to keep their channel going and Sky still do it better.

HOWIE

Post by HOWIE » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:32 pm

This should be the schedule in my opinion starting from the 10TH July 2006

6AM - 9AM - Eamonn & Emma

9AM - 12PM - Martin & Julie E ( BACK IN THE OLD DAYS )

12PM - 2PM - Anna Jones

2PM - 5PM - Kay & Mark ( BACK IN THE OLD DAYS )

5PM - 8PM - Jeremy & Anna ( BACK IN THE OLD DAYS )

8PM - 12AM - Chris & Gillian

Then with Sportsline with Jon

This will get Sky News winning the awards again ...............

TV Newsroom

Post by TV Newsroom » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:45 pm

The Sky News Greenroom as wasted no time removing the dearly departed: http://www.skynewsgreenroom.co.uk/SkyNe ... ews.aspSky News Greenroom

dirkyt

Post by dirkyt » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:50 pm

I am absolutely disgusted at the way this has been handled.

I am sure it will come to no surprise to you that I will not be watching Sky News now.

The Beeb has its faults but I will always associate Sky News with this episode; one which is rather ruthless and shameful.

Stevo

Post by Stevo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:56 pm

It is sad to see some of those people go. But nothing lasts forever. Change is good, and not before time. Improvements needed to be made at some stage, regardless of any financial considerations on Sky's behalf. The quality of Sky News has slipped over the past few months, most definitely. Even I had started turning over to BBC News 24, especially when World News Tonight with James Rubin was on. (Okay, all they had tonight on BBC News 24 was a plane on the runway at Manchester Airport for 30mins, but it was still better than listening to Rubin.) Sky News needs to get back to what it used to do best at, news! Departures are never nice, but you can't make an omlette without breaking the eggs.

Now, when are they going to be bringing back Natasha Kaplinsky?

irxin

Post by irxin » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:57 pm

I think the new schedule has taken the best from revamp but dumped what did not work.

If I where working out new schedules the programs and presenters would be very close to the new list ? well done Sky.

I must admit that the use of Eamonn Holmes as a news presenter is still unbelievable but has they have kept him it must work for some. As I mentioned above they are not spending my money.

A few specific comments:

Richard Bestic I hope it was his idea, a very odd choice to dump.

Ginny Buckley Has been getting better of late but not really right.

Juliette Foster Slightly odd choice but would not have used her to replace the ones on the new schedule.

Jenny Percival Very odd choice, don?t the Westminster villagers like women?

Nicola Hill Can?t place her

Eve Richings or her

David Chater Great .. Bleeding heart belongs on the Beeb not Sky.

James Rubin Contributor good, presenter crap.

Ones not mentioned that I hope are staying:

Lukwesa Burak and Paula Middlehurst

Samantha Simmonds, Martin Popplewell, Helen Fospero, Emma Crosby

Sorry line missing above:

These are hopfully for the chop:

Samantha Simmonds, Martin Popplewell, Helen Fospero, Emma Crosby

dirkyt

Post by dirkyt » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:06 pm

Stevo wrote:It is sad to see some of those people go. But nothing lasts forever. Change is good, and not before time. Improvements needed to be made at some stage, regardless of any financial considerations on Sky's behalf. The quality of Sky News has slipped over the past few months, most definitely. Even I had started turning over to BBC News 24, especially when World News Tonight with James Rubin was on. (Okay, all they had tonight on BBC News 24 was a plane on the runway at Manchester Airport for 30mins, but it was still better than listening to Rubin.) Sky News needs to get back to what it used to do best at, news! Departures are never nice, but you can't make an omlette without breaking the eggs.

Now, when are they going to be bringing back Natasha Kaplinsky?

I think it is fair to say that Sky was on a rocky road before the relaunch.

If this was the reason for the cull, then all the new starters would have been ditched, and that is not the case.

We are only reverting back to the pre-launch period, which was not Sky News' finest era! I get the sense they just think they are taking quick fixes for problems that aint going away.

But hell - what do I care, I am only bothered about BBC News 24 now!! Sky News can fester away til the cows come home!!

TV Newsroom

Post by TV Newsroom » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:17 pm

Johnnie wrote:The Sky News Greenroom as wasted no time removing the dearly departed: http://www.skynewsgreenroom.co.uk/SkyNe ... ews.aspSky News Greenroom

Grainne Seoige is still on the site, but left on Firday...

Hazel Murray isn't on the weather page, was she before today?