Sky News: The Overnights

Discussions on news networks: BBC News, ITV News, Channel 4 News, 5 News and Sky News
xxx

Post by xxx » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:18 pm

This is outrageous, how was Michael Watkins picked over Gordon Radley, and I as well as Glenn will be watching Alistair Yates on BBC or the live FOX news.

I am really annoyed, how can they cut the best overnight presenter they have OR will ever have!!!

Gordon Radley please come back and replace the personality - less MW!!!!!!!

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:43 pm

And also (with no disrespect to Popplewell or Anjali) why are they doing overnights when they work at the weekends? They might as well get rid of Watkins and put Allan King on instead. <_<

Meh, I'll enjoy watching Bill O'Reilly's no-spin zone. The arguments there are so much more interesting than MW's boringness. No disrespect to MW but he is too bland for my liking. Radley always found a way to add some humour. Even during the period before the Pope's death when he was joined by Steve Dixon (at about 3am) he managed to pull out a joke that had Steve is stitches. I know I was laughing. Oh the memories. Gordon buddy, I'm gonna miss you.

daved2424

Post by daved2424 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:11 am

How do you know he was sacked? He may of left of his own accord. I don't know either, but at least find out the truth before making wild and irrational statements.

xxx

Post by xxx » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:40 pm

Yes I apologise Daved but I am furious, but I seriously doubt he left of his own accord!

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:20 pm

Juliet Errington is on the overnight tonight (Tuesday). No personal beginning though (just Live from the Sky News Centre, this is Sky News).

After the farce of this past weekend (both Sunday and Monday mornings were repeats of the midnight-1am hour with Kevin Owen) they really need to re-employ Gordon Radley. At least he and Michael Watkins were stable, known and competant anchors for the early hours. The way it is now is just erratic. Martin Popplewell and Anjali Rao should just be left to working at the weekends as opposed to weekends AND overnights. It's too complicated IMO.

Robbbo

Post by Robbbo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:04 pm

Are the weekend overnights now pre-recorded?

I thought Kevin owen was doing double shifts

xxx

Post by xxx » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:18 pm

I no longer watch Sky News Overnights, they have really made a mess of it.

Bring back Gordon Radley and a bit of stability back to the nights and I may tune back in. Alistair will do fine for now!

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:45 pm

That's my thoughts exactly. Although I like Juliet Errington alright she is at the end of the day a reporter. Martin Popplewell I thought was a reporter too but that confuses me. You're right Robbbo the last two weekends have seen pre-recordings of the midnight hour repeated. It's a mess and like I said Sky News should realize that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Gordon Radley did a great job and I think they should bring him back to stabilize the overnights. He and Michael Watkins were doing a good job alongside the others who also worked alongside them. Until things improve then I'll be watching either Karin or Alistair on News 24, or O'Reilly and co at Fox.

TV Newsroom

Post by TV Newsroom » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:57 pm

Sky News Ireland's Brian Daly is on the overnight, Brian's been in London for at least a few days, i see him reporting on a London based story the other day..

newshound_ie

Post by newshound_ie » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:58 pm

Good to see Brian get to present from News Centre. Is this his first broadcast from there? Good to get cross-over of personnel. A British Sky News reporter covered holidays for SNI during the summer-time. I'm sure this is benificial. Wondering if Brian has left SNI? But best of luck whatever his future is.