Ben Hunte named LGBT correspondent for BBC News

Ben Hunte BBC News LGBT Correspondent e

Ben Hunte has been announced as the first LGBT Correspondent for BBC News.

The newly created role will report on the stories, issues and debates surrounding sexuality and gender and focus on providing insight and analysis on matters affecting the LGBT community in the UK.

“I’m delighted to be taking on this important new role for BBC News and I am looking forward to finding and telling stories from the LGBT community,” said Ben.

He played a key part during the coverage of the BBC’s Gay Britannia season and presented his own series of LGBT-themed programmes on BBC Radio 4 and 4 Extra called The Ben Hunte Interviews.

Ben interviewed a range of high profile guests including Paul O’Grady and Stephen K Amos. This year Ben also became the presenter of BBC What’s New?, the BBC’s first TV programme and digital service for children in Africa.

Richard Burgess, UK News Editor for BBC News, added: “BBC News has a rich heritage of covering issues and debates from the LGBT community.

“This year we announced our first gender and identity correspondent, Megha Mohan, and I’m thrilled that Ben will be taking up this dedicated role which aims to strengthen our offering of LGBT stories and original journalism across the BBC”.

Ben graduated from the University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus with a degree in Neuroscience, before studying TV Journalism at City University of London.

He will take up the new role in the new year.

Posted by on Thursday 13 December 2018
Posted in
Bernard Ponsonby retires from STV

STV’s special correspondent Bernard Ponsonby has announced he is retiring from the channel after 34 years in the industry. He

Darren McCaffrey Images

Darren McCaffrey is making a return to Sky News. He left the organisation in 2018 to join Euronews before moving

Gillian Anderson as Emily Maitlis on Scoop

Scoop is a film based on the true events leading up to Prince Andrew’s explosive 2019 BBC Newsnight interview. The

Copy link